Dean wants me to drop out of college even though I have good grades. Absurd?

<p>I’m a junior in college and have never gotten a grade lower than a B+ in any of my classes. I currently have a 3.7 GPA. My high school GPA was even higher. My SAT score was respectable. Obviously I was accepted to the school for a reason and I still haven’t disappointed.</p>

<p>The absurdity of my present situation lies in the fact that my dean suggested that I drop out of college apparently just because I casually expressed disinterest in some of the liberal arts courses the university requires me to take. I said “apparently just because” in my previous sentence because I suspect that my dean has a problem with me in particular. That’s just how absurd I think that my dean’s suggestion that I drop out of college is. If I were to follow my dean’s advice then unless I love all of the liberal arts courses I must take in order to graduate I should drop out of college and enroll at a community college.</p>

<p>I would have accepted the dean’s argument if I were getting anything lower than B’s in my classes, but as I said, I have a 3.7 GPA; and the dean knows it.</p>

<p>I feel like I should complain to someone, but who? I would tell my parents but I don’t want them to freak out when they learn that none other than my dean wants me to drop out of college.</p>

<p>I’m not in college, but can’t you just ignore him? Or report him to someone higher, perhaps?</p>

<p>He may have just said that meaning that if the requirements made you incredibly unhappy that you always have the choice to leave. Even if that is the case however, it doesn’t reflect very well of him. I can tell you my nephew was in undergrad at WVU and expressed disappointment to his advisor that his courses weren’t particularly challenging. His advisor responded much differently than your dean. She challenged him to conduct some research independently. He ended up presenting his research at many NASA conferences,… He was also a finalist for the Goldwater Award, and is now working on his PhD in physics. Her challenge was a win-win-win for the university,for her, and for my nephew!</p>

<p>My suggestion would be to either ignore him, or confront him about it – don’t go to your parents.
Don’t report him. Speak with him about it. </p>

<p>He may not have realized you’d take offense to the comment; a lot of people are socially clueless like that. </p>

<p>You should at least give him the chance to rectify the situation and to unload your feelings that you see to be harboring about it.</p>

<p>You’re an adult now. You don’t have the luxury of taking offense whenever someone is mean, because once you graduate from high school being mean is not usually a punishable offense.</p>

<p>pmvd i knew this was you just from the title</p>

<p>get a new gimmick, no, get a new approach, you’re getting bland</p>

<p>Didn’t we just have a thread just like this that we determined was a pmvdd reincarnate?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s not even a punishable offense in high school, or even middle school either. I don’t understand why so many people manage to get this far without ever hearing any stupid comments.</p>

<p>This is PMVD? I should have known it.
I waste my precious pixels. Again.</p>

<p>Sounds like a dick, just ignore him.</p>

<p>■■■■■ LOL last time there was a same content thread XD but it was a prof telling student to drop out cuz of bad writing skills, i think.</p>

<p>Why does PMVD bother to make all of these accounts? Despite his creepy behavior, I doubt he’s ever been banned.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They probably ban his username (hence the many incarnations of PMVD) but not his IP. An IP ban could take care of him for a while.</p>

<p>Eh, you can change your card’s IP in 5-10 minutes if you know how =P</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Actually, some of us do have very close and open relationships with our dean… just saying. </p>

<p>And PMVD this shtick is getting old.</p>

<p>The academic world has a large amount of high egos. Most certainly among top positions such as the Dead or Chair of a department.</p>

<p>The Dean might talk that way to every student.</p>

<p>In some cases(Not all) the more you study…the more arrogant you become.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Agreed. The dean of my school knows me by name and we converse regularly. I would imagine it’s probably not that way at public schools, though.</p>

<p>^ I go to one of the biggest public schools in the nation…</p>

<p>Then I assure you your relationship with the dean is not as close as you think it is.</p>

<p>^ I assure you that you’re wrong. Dean of college, not dean of university.</p>