December 4th SAT Prep Talk Thread

<p><em>stretches</em></p>

<p>you guys all ready for the second to last showing of this old SAT? </p>

<p><em>stretches</em></p>

<p>remember, talk smack and kick the SAT in the ass. this test ain't got nuttin' on us.</p>

<p>Geez. I don't think I should have signed up for it. PSAT scores are in! Can't wait to get in on Monday so I can sort of guess my projected score.</p>

<p>argh, im so done with standardized testing. if i had to look at one more test prep book, i think i'd have to gouge my eyes out oedipus-style.</p>

<p>for all of us waiting for the 2005 SAT........................2400 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Yeah its about time for it to be over... woohoo new SAT... i hate analogies (they kick my butt) lol and the quantative comparison (even though I do well on those)</p>

<p>But I'm takin the Dec. and Jan. one's to see if I can get into this Science and Math high school next August. </p>

<p>PSAT scores are in????!!??? yay!!! I can't wait to see my scores, did horribly last year because I didn't know a thing about it... this year hoping to get a 78-80 Math, >60 Verbal, >60 Writing</p>

<p>8 More Days</p>

<p>7 MORE DAYS</p>

<p>start the count down.</p>

<p>8 more days over here</p>

<p>Effulgent, where are you basing the assumption with the arrival of the PSAT?</p>

<p>Hate to pop your bubble, but the last old SAT is in January. And it's also the last of SAT II Writing.</p>

<p>Anyone else taking physics in december?</p>

<p>What do you mean? <em>Where</em> am I basing the assumption? Well, the PSAT is a pretty okay indicator of what I would get on the SAT, although I know the bigger test is harder. I've taken several practice SATs last year, and they were higher than/matched my PSAT score.</p>

<p>If you mean where I got that it already arrived, it's Princeton Review. GCs should have the scores.</p>

<p>I hate analogies too. I'm okay at them, but the relationship kills me. You can come up with multiple relationships that will get an answer. Figuring which they consider is the <em>best</em> is my problem.</p>

<p>I'm not putting much importance on this SAT... I just wanted to take the old one. Of course, I'll be taking the 2400 later (which will be more crucial).</p>

<p>effulgent-
I posted this a while ago, but it might help you. On the analogies..forget about relationships. Make up a sentence that DEFINES the first word, making sure the second word is in your definition. All of the analogies are based on definitions.
The pattern that ETS uses when they write the test is based on the first word being a noun, verb, or adjective. If you know what the first word means, you won't have any trouble defining it with the second word. But if you don't know the meaning of the first word, look at the answers and determine if the part of speech of the first word and use the following formula to begin the defining sentence:</p>

<p>Noun
____<strong><em>is a person who.......
_</em></strong>
___is a thing that ........</p>

<p>Verb
To ______ means to..........</p>

<p>Adjective
___<strong><em>means with/or without _</em></strong> (the second word)</p>

<p>This is the matrix that ETS uses when they write the analogy section, and if you learn it, you should be able to increase your score..even with words you don't know.
Also...you almost always define the first word.</p>

<p>HTH</p>

<p>effulgent, how do you know throught princeton review. Did they email you something. Someone else said that??</p>

<p>Oooh, thanks so much, ramakong! Sometimes, we all make things more difficult than it needs to be, lol.</p>

<p>Yeah, Alex. They emailed me. Here's what it says:</p>

<p>"Hi Elizabeth ,</p>

<p>Remember that PSAT you took back in October? Well, your scores should be in by now (if you haven’t seen them yet, take a little walk over to your guidance counselor’s office…PSAT scores are sent directly to your school, not your home)."</p>

<p>The rest is an ad for getting help through Princeton Review to improve scores. -___-</p>

<p>Is anybody who got that email registered with the princeton review? Does princeton review know this for sure. Do they have insider knowledge?</p>

<p>Finally my last SAT. It's my third time taking it, any one take it more than 3 times?</p>

<p>I am. 4th time. Unfortunately, I found I got a 1570 after I registered for the test. So I might cancel my scores. Depends on what you guys say on here for the official thread.</p>

<p>Wow. yea at a 1570 I'd definietly be satisfied, good job!</p>

<p>1570 is good enough and a 4th test doesn't look too good on college apps...</p>