Deferring loan payments after Suspension

<p>Hi there all,</p>

<p>I was suspended from Portland State University for two terms and am wondering if I am eligible for any kind of deferment of my Parent Plus Loan. Other than loans based on parent's income I am not sure what I would be eligible for. I really only need something to defer the lean until Fall term so that I can get an in-school deferment. My father has recently become unemployed if that has any bearing. </p>


<p>Yes, your father can contact the lender and request a deferment based on his unemployment.</p>

If the parents are married and both work, can you get a deferment based on one person losing their job? Just curious. </p>

<p>Would it matter if the spouse who loses their job doesn't earn nearly as much as the employed spouse? What are the rules?</p>

<p>I don't have Plus loans :) but my understanding from various sources is that only one parent is actually the borrower. Whether it's an actual economic hardship deferral (up to 3 years is allowed) or simply a change in the payment arrangement, there are various options available to the parent(s). This may help clarify:</p>

<p>You may choose to postpone payments while your student is enrolled in school at least half-time. If you choose to postpone your Parent PLUS loan payments, interest will still accrue and be added to your loan balance. Therefore, you also have the option to pay interest only during periods of postponed payments. </p>

<p>For Parent PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, you may postpone payments for an additional six months after your student graduates or is no longer enrolled at least half-time. This is similar to the six month "grace period" offered to students who borrow the Federal Stafford Loan.</p>

<p>Student</a> Lending Works : Q & A : Parent PLUS Loans</p>