"Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science"

<p>I see department titles like "Mechanical Engineering and Material Science" for many schools. Does the material science part mean Material Science Engineering or is it just the material science aspect of mechanical engineering?</p>

<p>yes it means Materials Science and Engineering</p>

<p>Depending on the school. Some school co-listed with the physics, or even chemistry departments.
But because there are many overlapping, and similar courses taught in both ME and MSE, it is more convenient to put them together under one department.</p>

<p>It's actually the Department of Microbiology and Nursing but you wouldn't guess that from the name.</p>