I’m an international student. I applied to DePauw and have been accepted with a scholarship of $34,000/year. Considering my average stats, I think this is a good offer. Wondering about the results of you guys.
*SAT: 1340. R+W: 640. M: 700.
*GPA: 8.4/10. Quite low, especially when I go to a highly competitive school. Although in my country a 9.6+ is impossible, most college applicants from my country would expect a 8.7+ for scholarship in a school in top 70.
*Personal essay: wrote in one week, had a Middlebury alumnus proofread the essay. He thought that it was “funny and sad at the same time” but didn’t say if it’s good or bad. It has exactly 650 words, which is the maximum length allowed by common app lol.
*1 rec letter from the counselor and 1 from my literature teacher. The lit. teacher’s letter was impressive but the counselor straightforward wrote that I was not good at natural science subjects (he still recommended me “strongly” though)
- Founder of a cultural club.
- Create a Facebook page to write and debate social issues
- Travel blogger
- Blogger of another site since 9 years old
- Take street-life photos
- Write some songs since 8.
- Book reviewer
- Class vice-president for 4 years in middle school. I stopped when entering high school to focus on my club and survive academically.
- Head of public relations department for 2 organizations.
- Member of my high school’s media club (which I dropped out after my freshman year :D)
- Volunteer for 2, 3 cultural projects.
- International gold medalist in creative writing criteria of an environment competition.
- Several regional awards.
- Other trivial stuff like I sketch fashion designs and can speak a little German, which I included in the additional information part but didn’t mind showing anything to prove