Did I just really mess up my chances to get into Cornell next year?

<p>Hello everyone!</p>

<p>Well, I am junior in high school. I just recently became interested in Cornell. I love it! Not only are the programs excellent, the campus is beautiful as well. I can see myself there in two years.</p>

<p>There is one problem: getting in.</p>

<p>This isn’t really a chance me thread, I know that where I am right now, I will not get in. However, I am hoping you guys can identify my weaknesses and help me improve. </p>

<p>This is my transcript:
(All classes are “advanced” and English is honors)</p>

<p>9th grade:
English- A
Gifted and Talented- A+
Geometry- A-
Biology- B+
World History- A
Spanish 2- A+
Computer Applications- A+
Gym- A+
Health- A+</p>

<p>10th grade:
English- A
Harmony- A
Algebra 2- A-
Chemistry- B+
APUSH I- C+
Spanish 3- A
Computer Applications 2- A+
Gym- A+
Health- A</p>

<p>Predicted grades: </p>

<p>11th grade
AP Chem- B+
AP Bio 1- B
Precalc- B+
History- A+</p>

<p>English- A
Spanish 4- A
Gym- A+
Health- A+
AP Bio 2- A</p>

<p>12th grade
AP Calc AB
AP Calc BC
AP Lang
Gym
Health
AP Macro
Physics
Sociology</p>

<p>I have not taken my SATs yet. What score do you think would be worthy of Cornell? (2300?)
Also, I am planning on taking 3 SAT subject tests- Math II, Biology, and Spanish </p>

<p>In May, I am taking AP Exams for Chemistry and Biology.</p>

<p>My ECs: </p>

<p>Key Club (9-10)
Student Council(9-12)
Newspaper(10-12)
Cross Country(10,12)
Spanish Honor Society(11,12)</p>

<p>I also plan on getting into National Honor Society at the end of this year.</p>

<p>Volunteering: 150ish hours at the local library</p>

<p>So, I am basically asking you: </p>

<p>What can I do to improve besides my grades? How can I be extraordinary? </p>

<p>I am Asian Indian and a first generation college student from NJ.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! I really appreciated it.</p>

<p>2250 is good for the SAT, but of course if you want to be "extraordinary," go for a 2400</p>

<p>I also don't understand the title, what have you done to mar your chances?</p>

<p>The B, B+, B+ in AP Bio, AP Chem, and Precalculus. I know it is not terrible, but others applying are straight-A students...</p>

<p>Plus, I only took 2 APs junior year (AP Bio 1, AP Bio 2 (AP Bio is all year) and AP Chem)</p>

<p>Cornell doesn't look at writing so forget about the 2400 scale. If you really want to stand out, aim for 1500 CR/M, which would place you in about the 75th percentile.</p>

<p>As of now, there isn't much you can do grade-wise, but to stand out, you could try participating in some olympiads such as the bio and chem olympiad, if you are really good at chem and bio. Also, you could try the scholastic art/writing competitions, if you're good at writing.</p>

<p>For EC's if you get elected President of National Honor Society, that would considerably boost your application too.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, but there aren't competitions near where I live.</p>

<p>Some competitions are national, where you send in the work, like the scholastic one. Others, like the AMC, are hosted at high schools, so you can ask your math teacher to host it, if you're really good at math. Same goes with chemistry and bio</p>

<p>How can you have predicted your grades so early in the school year for your classes? Turn those B's into A's!! Otherwise as said above, you'll want to get 75th percentile on your SATs to have a good chance. Generally speaking, GPA>SAT so you'll need to compensate. Any idea on your class rank? If your grades are keeping you in the top 10%, your chances aren't that messed up...</p>

<p>Yes, best case scenario, those are my grades for Precalc, AP Bio, and AP Chem.</p>

<p>You see, my school has a 4-block system. 4 classes the first semester (1st 2 marking periods) and 4 classes the 2nd semester. The 1st marking period is over and I have:</p>

<p>AP Bio: C-
Precalc: C
AP Chem: C</p>

<p>1st marking period= 40% of total grade
2nd marking period= 40% of total grade
Finals= 20% of total grade</p>

<p>If 2nd marking period, I work super duper hard and get an A in AP Bio, A+ in AP Chem and A+ in Precalc, and A- on the bio final, B+ on precalc and chem finals, my final grades: B, B+, B+.</p>

<p>I wish there was a legit reason I slacked off this marking period, but there isn't. I just lost all motivation and thought, "Well, I'm just going to my state school anyways, so whatever." However, now I really REALLY want to get into Cornell.</p>

<p>My rank is 24/336, BUT it is only based off of 9th and 10th grade, not the first quarter of 11th grade (where I am getting terrible grades).</p>