Did I mess up the Jan 2012 essay?

<p>I can't remember the prompt exactly, but it was kind of like:
"Is it sometimes wise to be suspicious of other people, even if they seem trustworthy?"</p>

<p>I talked about how it is unwise to be suspicious because distrust will only bring on antipathy and more hate, kind of like in the Cold War between US and USSR. However, I did not address the "even if they seem trustworthy" part of the prompt.</p>

<p>Even though I talked a lot about suspicion, distrust and trust, would I get points off if I did not really address that part of the prompt?</p>

<p>Nope, the off-topic thing really isn't that strict.</p>

<p>Thanks! All I needed to know :D</p>

<p>Sorry for bumping this again but I would now like some more opinions please. How strictly did I need to adhere to the topic?</p>

<p>I had a bad dream last night that I got a 0 on the essay lol....</p>

<p>Nah, if you made it long and didn't make a bunch of spelling mistakes, it is fine...the average essay grader takes like 20 seconds, so it isn't really a big deal if you aren't strict to the topic...as long as you don't talk about something totally different you are good.</p>

<p>Topic: Is is wise to be suspicious of the motives or honesty of other people, even those who appear to be trustworthy?</p>

<p>To be honest, I think it all depends. For example, Roosevelt at the Yalta Conference would work. FDR trusted Stalin. Stalin then didn't keep his promises. My teachers say that the CB readers want specific topics and a fully developed discussion.</p>

<p>^ false. They dont look for any specific topics. In fact you can make up your topics and use personal examples. The only point is to make it fit the prompt and helps develop your argument. I make up examples IF I am pressed and cant think of real examples. Graders wont and cant know what you made up.</p>

<p>For this one I would have used </p>

<p>1984 - real example</p>

<p>The life of Fyodor - fake example. I will just make up a character called Fyodor set in late 19th century Moscow. He has a trust worthy and caring neighbhor. However, Fyodor sees some suspicious activity one night while taking a stroll and it appears to be his neighbhor. The next day there is a murder and sees a change in his neighbhors personality. Then there is another killing and he sees his neighbhor with a knife. So he becomes suspicious of him. I know its stretching it but it works lol!</p>

<p>Corporate leader - fake example. In this one I would talk about a corporate leader who seems trustworthy on the outside but not on the inside. All but one person in the company will look at him in a suspicious light because they believe he has done so much for them. This one person reveal's the fruad that's going on behind the curtains and save's alot of money. </p>

<p>So I use a mix of real and fake examples and it works well.</p>

<p>I don't think it will be a big deal.</p>

<p>Although making up false examples does work from time to time, I would highly suggest using legitimate examples.</p>

<p>Im not saying that you should use them all them time. Its just when your really presed. You will atleast have a chance with a well developed argument and a fake example rather than a poorly developed argument from real examples. The best is to mix fake and real. That way it would make it seem more legit. Here is an interesting website I found on the sat essay.</p>

<p>In</a> Praise of Folly: Writing the SAT Essay – Tutor Talk | Appelrouth Tutoring Services</p>

<p>For my essay on the November SAT I used two examples. The first was Beowulf because we were reading that in my AP lit class but we hadn't finished yet, so I just kind of made up the ending lol. Then I used a fictional personal example. That essay got a 10. So i would say you could make up examples</p>

<p>^ Exactly. The readers try to tsee if you can persuade them to believing in your view point. Thats all they really care about.</p>

<p>I see. I used only one example (4 paragraph essay) about the Cold War and suspicions between the US and USSR. I stressed how suspicions only made things worse for both sides (was a little more detailed than that), but I never addressed the "seem trustworthy" part at all. From what I can tell of your comments, this should be perfectly fine. Thanks a lot :D</p>