Difference between accounting, finance, and economics (in terms of majors)?

<p>Also, which major leads to the best future (job stability, opportunities, salary, etc.)</p>

<p>Accounting>Finance>Economics </p>

<p>That's in terms of job prospects at a given school. As school quality goes up, chances are the accounting major will disappear first, then finance, leaving only Economics. So if you are at the University of Chicago, Harvard, MIT, Economics is going to be the only one of those 3 you can probably do at the undergraduate level! Obviously MIT Econ > Accounting any place else. Sure Finance is great if you are at Wharton...if you aren't, don't expect similar results. They don't fill those high finance jobs with Finance majors from Boondocks University, they fill them with MIT math majors and other people from top schools...</p>

<p>If accounting is an option at your school, it's probably a clue that you are at a school where nobody will have very high regard for the economics degree there. Don't make the mistake of looking at successful people with the title "economist" and thinking that they don't have at LEAST a Masters in Economics and probably one from a great school. </p>

<p>At any rate, go to the career website at your school and see what info there is.</p>

<p>You need a good understanding of all 3 if you want to move up in corporate. You need to wear many hats in the real world. The more hats you have, the better off you will be.</p>

<p>Accounting = memorization
Finance = easy
Econ = easy. sometimes not?</p>

<p>MIT has an amazing accounting and finance program...</p>

<p>However, I agree that finance and accounting are much more practical and offer better job opportunities.</p>

<p>I was wrong in guessing that MIT didn't have undergraduate finance, but they don't have undergraduate accounting at any rate. </p>

<p>SB</a> in Management Science - MIT Sloan School of Management Undergraduate Program</p>

<p>Even if they did, why would anyone do it?</p>

<p>What if I'm actually interested in economics rather than accounting?</p>

<p>Then major in economics...just make sure you have a plan for getting a job or going to grad school(i.e. take extra math classes, the quantitative economics classes, get a high GPA, start the internship/job search early). Just be forewarned that the chances that you will end up as a used car salesman are probably higher if you aren't at a good school.</p>

<p>If anyone wants to jump down my throat and say how every economics major doesn't end up as a used car salesman, please just jump off of a building now. We live in a stochastic world and if you don't get that you shouldn't major in economics.</p>

<p>Absolutely do not major in something that doesn't interest you. It is a surefire recipe for failure. Economics majors are set up for great long-term success and I would recommend it to anybody who's interested in the subject.</p>