Difference between AP tests and SAT IIs?

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>I'm taking the APUSH test at the end of this year and probably the US History SAT II as well. What are the differences between the two kinds of tests?</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>SATII is easier. Less analysis, more fact based. In my experience.</p>

<p>APUSH has 2 essays and 1 DBQ while the SAT II test does not. This can be either an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how good your grasp of the given topic is. If you don't know much about the topic, the 2 essays can be a little grueling and your lack of knowledge can become a little obvious. The DBQ typically isn't too bad because it provides you with several documents that trigger facts in your memory. If you do know a lot about the topics, however, doing well on the essays can be an amazing boost. If you get a 9 on all the two essays and DBQ, you can get several MC (multiple choice) questions wrong and still get a 5 on the AP test. The SAT II test doesn't give you that opportunity. </p>

<p>Also, as of the 2011 AP test, guessing incorrectly no longer hurts you on the AP test. Your raw score is strictly the amount of questions you get right. In other words, you should answer every question even if you have no idea. But on the SAT II Test, guessing wrong penalizes you 1/4 of a point but leaving it blank does not. This is a crucial difference because smart test takers (especially those who do well on the SAT I test that has the same grading system) often do better on the SAT II Test by guessing only when they have a good chance of getting it right. A bad test taker, on the other hand, wouldn't be sure whether they have a good chance of getting an SAT II question right and may leave blank several questions they actually know the answer to. </p>

<p>In terms of difficulty, I believe the SAT II MC is slightly easier than the AP MC. The AP test, which takes 3 hours, is around three times longer than the SAT II test. In terms of college admission, both are important.</p>

<p>Although this may seem insane at first, I strongly suggest that you take the AP and SAT II test in the same month of May (or even in back to back days if the AP test happens to land on the Friday before the SAT II Test). They really test pretty much the same material, and this way you don't have to study twice. Also, this way, if you miss questions on the AP test, you can go home and study them so you don't miss them again on the SAT II test.</p>

<p>FYI SAT II is on May 5th and AP is on May 11th.</p>

<p>And I disagree with the "In terms of college admission, both are important." Your AP test score will not be a factor in your college admissions UNLESS you submit the score to the colleges.</p>

<p>My daughter's HS recommended taking the SAT II before the AP exam.
My daughter studied hard for the AP exam, and scored a 5 on the AP exam and a 760 on the SAT II.
This is a good test to take, since many students take AP USH junior year, in time for college records.</p>

<p>I had the same question.
But I would imagine that the SAT II is easier since it's all multiple choice, whereas the AP test has 3 analytical essays. :]</p>

<p>I thought SAT II was harder, but I'm a strong writer - I got a 690 on the SAT II and a 5 on the AP exam.</p>