Difficulty of RCa/RCb

<p>Hello!
I am wondering how difficulty it is to get A in RCa/RCb courses?
How much time do they usually take and what's the expectation the professor has?
Thank you!</p>

<p>*I was just mediocre English student in high school. Usually got around or a bit lower than 85</p>

<p>bummp! plzz</p>

<p>Bump, because I'd love to know...I'm having a hard time chosing what breadth requirement I'm gonna take my 1st semester as a freshman. There are way too many to choose from, and they have all those weird number and letters next to them (yeah, noob).</p>

<p>Hello and congrats on your acceptance to Berkeley!!</p>

<p>As far getting an A in RCa/RCb courses, it really truly depends on the professor. I know that probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, but that's really how it is. Each professor has his/her own expectations for the course. You can check out some different websites that review classes/professors to get more insight if there is a particular class you are interested. I can tell you that RCb focuses highly on writing research papers, but again, the expectations for the papers, the number of papers you will write, the time commitment of the class, etc are all based on the individual professors.</p>

<p>Also, LemonCat, I totally understand how it can be difficult to narrow down a class to fulfill the breadth requirement as there really are so many to choose from (I guess that can be considered a good thing though, haha)! As for the weird numbers and letters, they are just meant to identify the course. Course numbers below 100 denote lower division courses, courses numbered 100-199 are upper division courses, and 200+ are graduate level courses. The letters are just meant to further classify the course. 'A' would indicate the class is the first in a series, 'B' would indicate the class is the second in a series, 'AC' means the class fulfills the American Cultures requirement, 'RC' refers to the Reading and Composition requirement, etc. For your first semester, I would definitely recommend courses below 100. Also, keep your personal interests in mind when selecting classes. You're more likely to do better in classes that you actually want to be in. Read the course descriptions and allow your own interest to help guide you to a requirement course. My first semester I took History 5 and Philos 3 for breadth requirements and Portuguese 11 for the foreign language requirement. All were fantastic courses with pretty reasonable workloads (although I do warn you that Philos 3, or any philosophy course really, require a certain mindset that I just didn't have. I'm just not able to wrap my mind around some of those abstract topics haha)</p>

<p>Hope this kinda sorta helped! If you went to CalSo, I hope they were able to help you out some too!</p>

<p>R&C classes are taught by grad students, not professors.</p>