Dilemma...what do I do?

<p>So during my sophomore year of university I dropped out 2nd semester because my fall term...well it didn't go well. To sum it up, a lot of personal problems and I became depressed. I ended up failing 2 classes, withdrawing from 1 and got a D and B. Before this my gpa was a 3.2 but after that it dropped very low. I was placed on probation.</p>

<p>My dad got laid off his company, and my mom had to start working to support my brothers/sisters. So they were really struggling, I started working part time while going to school. My classes were really difficult and combined it with everything going on I was just really stressed out. I couldn't handle anything well and concentration was very hard for me. Prior to this, I never failed anything in my life. I decided to take the sem off after to really figure things out.</p>

<p>I started working full time. My relatives were in cali and owned property, and could offer stable work so my whole family decided to move across the country, I went with them.</p>

<p>Now.....I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I want to go back to school, and will start at community. But my record is so blemished it always makes me depressed when I think about it. I can't apply to a decent school ever again because of the transcriptions from last sem. And going back across the country to retake these classes isn't even an option.</p>

<p>I want to eventually apply to a UC school but as soon as they see my failed transcriptions. I have no chance =( What could I do?</p>

<p>I would advise that you apply to those UC schools anyways - and disclose in your application (via the essay) that you had gone through many difficulties during your time at the university which you had previously attended. It might not work everywhere, but I am sure there will be some admission officers sympathetic to your circumstances.</p>

<p>If you have the money, you can try attending something similar to Harvard Extension School in your area and earn your degree that way, while working at the same time. I think they call it continuing education. </p>

<p>But, evaluate the opportunity cost of doing this as well. If you are well-connected enough and can advance from where you are with connections, you might not need to go to college.</p>

<p>Things are starting to stabalize but money is still an issue. I'm only working at a restaurant right now and I know I do need a college education to get ahead. Just amazing how life can turn upside down in such a short time. I guess all I can do is try to ace all my classes at community and then apply to a UC. And hopefully it will show I have what it takes to succeed and that my failures were just a really bad time in life...</p>

<p>i would apply if i were u. worst case scenario, you're in the same place you are now...minus the app fee tho but if money is a problem, u might be able to get a waiver.</p>

<p>you should also mention everything you've mentioned here. they might take into consideration what you went through at the time your grades started slipping especially if prior to that u had higher grades.</p>

<p>Don't several cc's in california have guaranteed admission to a uc if certain conditions are met?
I'm sure if you finished your associate's at a cc with good grades, a uc would have no problem accepting you for the last two years of undergrad.</p>