Distinguished College Scholars

<p>On here (Honors</a> Day 2010: General Information), it states that</p>

<p>"The student must be registered as an undergraduate for at least 15 semester hours of coursework, unless he or she lacks fewer than 15 hours to complete degree requirements."</p>

<p>I was wondering if that meant that you had to be taking 15 hours during the spring semester when invitations go out.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Wait, that is ridiculous. I can't get this because I only take 12 hours a semester? If I take 12 hours a semester from now until my 4 years are complete, I will graduate with 147 hours of credit, way more than is required. If anything, I should be distinguished because I came in with 46 hours of AP Credit.</p>

<p>Also, I've never actually heard of this until now.</p>

<p>Yeah, the only reason I know of this is because I volunteered for Honors Day last year. I called the DS office and they had no clue about it either.</p>

<p>I just don't want to be denied this because I was taking 12 hours in the fall.</p>

<p>You must be currently taking 15 hours and have taken 15 hours in the previous semester to qualify for the Distinguished College Scholar. (Unless you need less than that to finish your degree...i.e. graduate) </p>

<p>"The student must have completed at least 15 semester hours of coursework in either the spring or the fall semester of the previous calendar year."</p>

<p>What year are you? I wasn't able to receive the award until my sophomore year when I had completed over 60 hours.</p>

<p>You can still receive the College Scholar award by taking 12 hrs a semester.</p>

<p>The AP credit can help you earn the honor faster because the earned credit goes towards the 60 hrs you need to qualify for either award.</p>

<p>Honestly the only difference between the two is that the College Scholar you get a set of cords and the DCS gets cords and a medal...and resume padding.</p>

<p>I'm a 2nd year, but I'll be a senior after this fall semester.</p>

<p>I came in with 49 hours of AP Credit. I took 16 hours my first semester, 13 second semester. Now I have 78 hours. This fall I am taking 12 which will put me at 90. I will continue to take 12 hours every semester until I graduate, so that's another 12+(2<em>12)+(2</em>12)= 60, plus the 90 I already have puts me at 150 actually. Although my final final semester I may just take 6, which can be done and still be counted as a full time student since I don't need any more to be able to graduate (just the one class I will take that semester that is necessary for graduating.)</p>

<p>"If anything, I should be distinguished because I came in with 46 hours of AP Credit."</p>

<p>Some of us came in with more than 60 hours of AP credit. This is no great cause for distinction. Also, having this award/designation does not make you more or less employable.</p>

<p>Some schools don't even offer AP so you can't base anything off that. I didn't accept any of my AP credits, but I took a lot of placement tests and got credit for most of the tests I took. I took 34 hours freshman year.</p>

<p>I'm currently Junior classification with 65 hours total/53 UT hours.</p>

<p>EDIT: I got my answer from my friend.

[quote]

Hey Tommy!</p>

<p>Pretty much w/ honors day (I think it's always in April) you just have to be registered THAT semester for 15 hours. So for example, you should still be invited if you take say 12 hours in the fall and 15 hours in the spring (when invitations go out). I know this past fall I took 12 hours and this spring I took 15 hours, and I was invited to Honors Day.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>She was awarded Distinguished College Scholars.</p>

<p>"If anything, I should be distinguished because I came in with 46 hours of AP Credit."</p>

<p>^ What I meant by that is that since I am only taking 12 hours in my ending semesters, I should be offered distinguished because I technically took more than the required hours, it was just in the form of AP credit many years earlier. I should still have to keep high GPA, etc.</p>