Distributution class

<p>I'm transferring to Rice, and I have to take some distribution classes. Does anyone know any really interesting group 1 classes?</p>

<p>I have a really, really difficult time finding enjoyable D1 classes - I can't really put up with philosophy and haven't got any eye for art whatsoever. So if this sounds familiar, languages are your best bet: 200+ level courses count for distribution credit and you'll usually get 4 hours per class.
We also have some realllly good english classes - I really enjoyed taking Third World Literature. I don't know if you can get into freshman seminars as a transfer, but those are usually interesting.</p>

<p>How difficult are language classes(both amount of work and difficulty of work)? specifically Spanish?</p>

<p>Language classes are no joke and obviously the higher level ones (which are the ones that count for distribution) are going to be harder still. If you're looking for easy D1 I'd say suck it up and take that boring phil class. Also, pass fail is your friend when it comes to getting distribution you can always convert it if you do well.</p>

<p>As at any college, the difficulty of the classes depend on the professors. I'm taking Spanish, and the work load I had was on the light side. But it all depends on who you have.</p>

<p>I am going to take German class for sure. But I have to take classes from at least 2 departments, right? I'm looking for the second one.</p>

<p>Course</a> Offerings - Fall 10</p>

<p>These are all the D1 classes being offered 1st semester.</p>

<p>zammito, modern europe (HIST 101). he won accolades for his compelling teaching. if it's full by registration period, just show up to the 1st day with a special registration form -- humanities profs at rice are accommodating and will gladly take any student interested (provided the classroom is commodious enough).</p>

<p>one D1 I absolutely loved is cross listed between HUMA 280 and SOCI 280. It's called Poverty, Justice, and Human Capabilities. It's one of those classes that completely changes the way you view your life, and if you're not into philosophy/art/languages, I'd really recommend it.</p>

<p>fyi, poverty, justice, and human capabilities is its own minor at rice, so that class is typically reserved for students minoring in it</p>

<p>Can anybody explain the rationale behind only offering distribution credit for 200-level language courses? To me, this is very nonsensical. I hope I'm missing something.</p>

<p>I'm asking because I wanted to learn Russian and simultaneously get some distribution credit, but I can't get distribution credit because of this policy, and I'm certainly not going to just jump into a 200-level Russian course.</p>

<p>The distribution policy for language classes was changed my freshman year. The language departments lobbied for it because they felt that students weren't getting a sufficient language education in only one year, and they had a lot of students taking only the 100-level class then dropping out.</p>

<p>Also, you really shouldn't worry about what classes to take until you get there. You're not able to register for classes until the last day of O-Week anyway, and there are lots of students and faculty advisors there to help you plan.</p>

<p>If you want to learn Russian, then by all means go for it. Just continuing on throughout your sophomore year will give you a full 8 credits of D1 distribution, and then you only need 4 more credits to fulfill the requirement. plus your first year will give you 10 credits towards general hours needed, which is awesome.</p>

<p>There's really no problem with looking over the courses available (I know I did before my own O-Week) but don't commit yourself to anything, and be open to the fact that your entire "dream" schedule may change by the time you register. There are a lot of factors that affect which classes you take (placement, timing, number of students allowed in the class, location, workload, etc.) You will learn about these factors but until then, just be flexible with whatever schedule you end up with. Also, a lot of people look back on their first semester freshman year schedule as kind of a "trial run" and by second semester, they usually have more insight on what subjects they like, what kind of workload/course timing they can handle, etc. So even if your first semester schedule isn't exactly what you had planned, just view it as a learning opportunity. You will have a ton of time to plan your second semester schedule and be as OCD as you want to be so try not to worry too much about it.</p>

<p>Heh, my entire freshman year was a "trial run." Without freshman year, my GPA would have been .13 points higher.</p>