Divide between IB/AP/Honors kids and non-IB/AP/Honors kids?

<p>I'm at an IB school and up until second semester of junior year, everyone just sort of got along, it didn't matter what sort of classes you were taking. But as soon as the Full-Dip IB candidates began taking TOK, everything changed. Suddenly there's this huge divide in groups of friends between the full IB kids and the partia/non IB kids and we (the full dips) have been accused of being arrogant snobs, especially when we discuss TOK. I was wondering if this sort of jealous or antagonistic divide is common between class types and how to combat it, it's causing animosity between some formerly very close friends, and it's just really frustrating.</p>

<p>My school offers AP and IB, and after junior year, I can definitely see and feel a sort of separation from all my IB friends (I'm taking AP). But it's not really an "antagonistic divide," just more of a... well, I don't know, the people you end up talking to the most during the year are the people who are in your classes, so there's inevitably going to be some sort of chasm between AP and IB students. But it hasn't really caused any hatred or arguments to flare up, it's just more of a drifting apart...</p>

<p>Ugh it's so much worse at my school because it's either IB or nothing. There are a select few full-dips that think that the IB diploma is the be-all, end-all of success and intelligence, and they've earned us a horrible reputation, partial-IB kids feel alienated and non-IB kids just don't even try to talk to us.</p>

<p>I'm ranting, I know. there's just this weird IB hierarchy that has formed, and I have unwillingly become a part of it.</p>

<p>At my school (Regs, Honors, AP, IB) all the IB students are on the Full Diploma program, so this doesn't exist. We do have a sense of superiority (which we keep to ourselves, and don't take very seriously either...it's more like a joke) over AP students though....which I feel is justified to a tiny extent due to the EE, IA's, World Lits, Orals, etc. that we do that they don't do. I think it really heavily depends on your school's academic culture. For the most part, people that take AP classes are in ALL AP classes at my school, so that's our comparison.</p>

<p>But we still have plenty of non-IB friends. Actually most of my closest friends are not in IB. And I could never imagine, like charrizzard, an actual rift springing up.</p>

<p>There is. In fact, last year, we were split into two classes, one for people in Honors and one for people who weren't. Parents got upset, so we merged again in the middle of the year. </p>

<p>There is a rift when people who are taking AP start looking down on those who don't take it. Then things get ugly, but generally that doesn't happen.</p>

<p>My school offers regular, honors, AP, and IB as well. I do not think there is too much a rift between IB and AP at my school, because many classes are both AP and IB, and we have many people just take random IB and AP classes regardless of which program they are in. When there is, it is actually often the full AP students that look down upon the IB students, because a lot of the really high achievers go to AP instead of IB. In fact, even some of the teachers share this viewpoint (they sometimes joke about how the lowest scores are always from the IB kids).</p>

<p>We have IB and 3 AP classes. The AP Classes are like pre-reqs for our IB Classes. Except when someone says they hate IB they're like it's the same thing we learn. Then I proceed to tell them what we learn.</p>

<p>My school has regular, AA, Honors and AP. Honors is a two year program for the top 80/350+ 8th and 9th graders. All of those kids have three classes together, which results in the majority of their other classes being with nearly all Honors kids. So, in those two years, there's a really big divide that gets the separation started for HS.
The Honors kids all start going into AP classes sophomore year, and what they can't take AP yet they take AA. This is the only time when there might be some divide between AA and regular. Honors kids meet a couple of others in sophomore year (and see a bunch of people who have disappeared since 7th grade) with whom they take AP classes until they graduate. So, yeah, there's a pretty big divide. One doesn't realize how wide the gap is until graduation, when one meets like 1/3rd of the class for the first time. Sometimes the names aren't even familiar.</p>