Do Actively Recruited Athletes Need to Care About Grades?

<p>Watching the G'town game got me thinking...</p>

<p>On one hand, the top sports programs have to go after the absolute best athletes to keep things up, regardless of their academics.</p>

<p>On the other hand, it seems to me like the members of top basketball programs that are also top schools (Stanford, Georgetown, Duke, Virginia, even UNC) seem to be a pretty articulate bunch of kids, far above the "thug" image of the NBA.</p>

<p>So...</p>

<p>do D-1 recruits need to make the grade to play for top schools?</p>

<p>I think that they have to keep a minimum gpa in college. Also, I think they have to meet some requirements (hs grades and test scores) before they can play in college or something like that. They don't have to maintain a 4.0 or anything like that, but they can't just be "along for the ride" so to speak.</p>

<p>I'm not really sure.</p>

<p>Oh, and btw, I think one of the starters from Wake Forest's football team will be matriculating to medical school after this school year. Just had to throw that in there.</p>

<p>they cant be stupid...but they dont have to be smart. But I bet if Coach K or Roy Williams really want a player for Duke or UNC they'll probably get him no matter the grades. The admissions committee will just hafta make an exception. oh and Virginia really doesnt have that great of a basketball team...they were near last in the ACC this year.</p>

<p>UVA's team was pretty good last year.</p>

<p>Well...UVa is in the NIT (I think)</p>

<p>But they are a big-time program.</p>

<p>My personal guess:</p>

<p>I think, especially with smaller (under 10,000 UG) D-1 schools with big academic reputations (Duke, Stanford, G'Town, even someone like Davidson)...there's a fine balance. If there's a bigtime athlete w/ off-court issues, let's say, do you go for him? This will up your athletics but maybe hurt your academic rep. if he gets into trouble (I'm not sure how much good Mike Vick did for Va Tech in the long run)</p>

<p>The other thing is: let's say you're Princeton. You are one of the top colleges in the country, but you have a competitive basketball team to take care of. Your academic rep. helps AND hurts you:
- It is a plus because it draws athletes (at least the ones who care about learning) to your program
- It is a minus because (and I'm pretty sure about this one) the Ivy League schools keep high academic standards for recruits well above just about every other D1 program, thus filtering out the athletes w/ mediocre grades.</p>

<p>The NCAA sets minimum requirements, courses needed, combined GPA and test score needed to be accepted as a freshman into an approved NCAA college program and then also sets minimums needed to stay eligible while in college (wander around ncaa.org and you will find the requirements). Schools then may set their own requirements over and above the minimums if they desire.</p>

<p>The NCAA sets a sliding scale on your grades/scores to qualify you to play DI or DII. This is enforced by the "Clearinghouse." For example, if you have a 4.0 GPA, you can get like 1200 on the SAT and still be eligible to play. On the other hand, if you have a 2.5 GPA, you need 1900+ to be eligible. You also have to take a certain minimum set of academic classes.</p>

<p>That isn't to say that aggressive coaches never recruit players who are probably beneath the minimum NCAA requirements--Indiana is in trouble for this right now.</p>

<p>Close, philloglossia, but the scale is actually this:
3.55 and above: Min. SAT Reading/Math = 400 total
3.0: " = 620 total
2.5: " = 820 total
2.0: " = 1010 total
The GPA is determined by the NCAA's definition of a "core" class.</p>

<p>I actually had a discussion in class about college sports & grades. In one of the articles I read, it was astonishing to learn that at that time the book was written (98-99sh), certain colleges had 0% graduation rates for their basketball players. Today, with the minimums set by the NCAA, we see a big improvement in most cases (look at Kentucky, however) <a href="http://www.tidesport.org/Articles/2008_Mens_Basketball_Tournament_PR.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.tidesport.org/Articles/2008_Mens_Basketball_Tournament_PR.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>College athletes are usually given special benefits, like first-priority class scheduling which allows them to choose classes that work around their season's schedule. The article I read also mentioned something about "phantom" classes; classes that only college athletes know about, guaranteed to give them a passing grade. That's not to say ALL college athletes take advantage of this. </p>

<p>It'd be ridiculous for a student athlete to endure the same academics as a regular student, ALONG with their 3+ hour daily practices.</p>

<p>
[quote]
It'd be ridiculous for a student athlete to endure the same academics as a regular student, ALONG with their 3+ hour daily practices.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I disagree. Playing sports should be something extra, and they should be expected to maintain the same grades/difficulty of classes as an average student. I'm not saying a double major in two challenging fields, but they definitely should NOT be exempt from a normal academic schedule.
That's like saying someone who does an activity like theater (who routinely have 3+ hour daily practices as well) should get to take guaranteed-A classes. Would you think that's fair? No, because theater is an extra activity, just like sports.</p>

<p>star_girl, athletics are much more stressful than theater, because people actually come to sports events and therefore sports are more economically profitable in today's society (it's somewhat unfortunately a fact). Thousands of people attend games, and sometimes millions watch them on TV. that's not the same for theater. athletes should not be treated under the same guidelines and rules as far as classwork and deadlines for handing in classwork go. they are student-athletes, not just students.</p>

<p>I agree with westsidewolf. There are college sponsored athletic scholarships for D1 basketball players, however you don't see college sponsored theater, music, chess scholarships. Athletics are an undertaking that supersede normal extra curricular activities during college and are treated as such- more responsibilities to the sport, less responsiblities to the academics. However, there is a great contingent of talented athletes who can balance both.</p>

<p>I see both sides here.</p>

<p>First, I agree with star_girl, people who do theater and the performing arts do have to work just as hard to put on a superior production, daily 3 hour rehearsals are not uncommon, especially as opening night approaches.</p>

<p>However, these plays are not televised on national tv, like a college basketball or football game is. Graduates of the schools, when their team wins, are able to watch the game with their buddies and say "HEY!!! I attended Podunk U, and we just beat Dopunk U...isn't that where you went?" This builds pride in the school, and when alumni are proud of their school, alumni are more likely to donate money in order to help not just the sports programs, but to the school to use wherever it needs it. Unfortunately, it's not the same for the arts...they're more a "you kind of have to be there" type thing, and even if they were televised, not too many alumni would watch them.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, even though people with other ec's work just as hard as their athlete counterparts, these ecs don't bring in the $$$ for the university.</p>

<p>Partially depends on sport. Revenue sports versus others may have different requirements. But in the end at top schools they count.</p>

<p>In order for student athletes to be eligible to play sports in Division I they have to be enrolled in a program and maintain a GPA that will lead to graduation within 5 years. The GPA may vary depending on the program the athlete is involved in. They must carry a minimum of 12 credits each semester. If they fail classes or do not stay on track for graduation by taking the wrong classes or if they drop below 12 credits, they become ineligible to compete. </p>

<p>These rules are in effect regardless of what school you attend. Student athletes may not have the same GPA and test scores coming in as the regular student body. However, coaches figure out pretty quick that if a player is not going to be able to cut it at their specific school then they have wasted a scholarship and an opportunity to get another player. (Each sport is restricted in the number of students who can be on scholarship in any given year.) It is in the best interest of the coaches to recruit players who are going to be able to do whatever is academically necessary to stay eligible. </p>

<p>To this end, most high end Div. I programs have folks hired to support the academics of student athletes. They provide tutoring, grade monitoring, academic advising and other services to help students maintain their eligibility.</p>

<p>Depends on the sport and the school.</p>

<p>For non-revenue sports at top privates - recruited athletes usually need around 1300-1350 SATs (old format).</p>

<p>For revenue sports (basically FB and men's BB) at schools like Stanford and Northwestern, recruits need SATs around 1100.</p>

<p>Otoh, Duke BB allows for recruits w/ lower academic qualifications than its peer schools (during the 1990s - the avg. SAT score for the men's BB team was in the mid 800s - lower than half of the rest of the teams in the ACC).</p>