Do college clubs mainly consist of people who don't want to be in the greek system?

<p>Just wondering, in universities with a significant greek system, do college clubs mainly consist of people who are not/ don't want to be in the greek system and aren't very into partying?</p>

<p>Tell me based on your observations pls</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>I go to Ohio State, I always assumed it had an active fraternity/sorority community, unless all of those mansions are empty (and they don’t seem to be). Those packs of hot girls that cluster together while walking down the street, often wearing the same outfits, I always assumed they were sororities. So I guess there is a “significant greek system” here, so I hope my answer is somewhat useful.</p>

<p>Define “clubs.” I’m involved in two of what might be called clubs, a club for physics students and a Christian fellowship/church service organization thingie. I don’t think I know anybody in a fraternity or sorority, and the feeling I get from most people is that they are in the physics club because they like physics and are majoring it it (or a related field), or they are Christians looking for Christian fellowship. I don’t think the avoidance of so-called “greek life” has anything to do with it. As for “partying,” meaning the kind of college partying you see in movies, I have had zero involvement with anything like that and I think most people I know (on campus) are not that sort of person. Those are usually the students who aren’t taking college very seriously, and physics has a way of weeding out those people pretty fast. Given how many of my fellow physics nerds will spend 8-10 hours on a Friday (into the late night) in the physics lounge finishing homework, I’m guessing that quite a few of us don’t have a life, so us nerds are probably not going to give typical answers that other “normal” or “attractive” or “healthy” or “non-creepy” or “bathed” students give.</p>

<p>I’m curious why you are asking.</p>

<p>Clubs are for anyone interested in what the club offers…whether they are involved in the greek system or not. Two of my three sons chose to join fraternities. All 3 were active in at least two campus clubs apiece.</p>

<p>There are a lot of Greeks at my school who also are in clubs.</p>

<p>^^^ I would think difficult majors like physics wouldn’t have many frat boys in them. Same with math and engineering (except professional frats)</p>

<p>Well, there’s a guy’s social music fraternity on my campus that has a sizable portion of engineering and science majors.</p>

<p>Yeah, those are the guys who drop after year two because you can’t binge drink every night and still get passing grades in statistical mechanics or Fourier analysis.</p>

<p>Probably depends on how the Greek system is at the school. I’m not in any clubs so I don’t know how many Greek people are in them (though I used to be in a sorority and I don’t think anyone was too active in any clubs, though my sorority was pretty uninvolved in general).</p>

<p>Why does everyone think that engineers can’t also have a social side? My nephew is a senior in electrical engineering at Illinois and is president of his fraternity…and has an A- average.</p>

<p>I know plenty of Physics majors that go to party and drink. They don’t do it every night, but I don’t think they’re working 10 hours on Friday night either. That shouldn’t be necessary.</p>

<p>Most aren’t in fraternities, but I do know a couple.</p>

<p>I never would have even thought to associate clubs with greek life. I joined clubs because they sounded interesting, were for a good cause, or kept me busy. My social life or party habits never factored into the decision once.</p>