Do College Recommendations Really Help?

<p>I am currently doing an internship at a well accredited university in the department of mechanical and electrical engineering. (I would rather not say which University for privacy purposes). At the end of my internship I will be getting two college recommendations from two different professors, both who have taught in the field for close to 30 years. Will their recommendations help me for college admissions? How so?</p>

<p>The prestige of their position will not help you get accepted, but if they know you well enough to comment on your personal qualities and promise, it may provide another angle to your application.</p>

<p>I read in the recently-released Harvard supplement section (at least I think it was Harvard's) that additional recommendations beyond 1 are discouraged. I think one of the two of your professors could say exactly what needs to be said about you, and you wouldn't be pouring in additional recommendations to a college that won't want to sift through them all. I'm definitely sending in a recommendation from an outside source but I'm still in your position weighing the pros and cons of multiple recs.</p>

<p>Agreed with the two statements above me. But if they both write stellar recommendations that speak volumes of your potential (and they don't say the same thing) then go for it! But if not, the more is not the merrier.</p>