Do colleges check if your laptop has meant the minimum requirement?

<p>Do colleges check if your laptop has meant the minimum requirement?</p>

<p>My college's minimum requirement for laptops consists of 4.00 GB RAM, 300 GB Hard drive, and 2.30+ GHz processor. </p>

<p>That's absurd! You can easily run Photoshop or any other video editing program with 2.00 GB RAM no problem. </p>

<p>I don't understand why we need such powerful laptops, especially if we're English or History majors.</p>

<p>Yeah that's kind of a weird minimum. I've had my laptop checked to make sure i met the minimum requirements for internet security.</p>

<p>Do they even care if you have a laptop? I don't have one...</p>

<p>I am virtually certain they won't check.</p>

<p>But if you find yourself in a situation where your laptop is not adequate but any laptop meeting their minimum standards would be adequate, it's going to be your problem. You won't get excused from whatever task it is, you won't get an extension, you may not have access to a school-owned machine on which you can perform the task, and any consequence you'd get from choosing not to do the task can be imposed regardless of your inability to do it.</p>

<p>It's like having Course A as a prerequisite for Course B. If you forget everything you learned in A before you start B you won't fail a test designed to determine who actually has all the knowledge and skills that are presupposed, but you may fail a test designed to determine who actually has all the knowledge and skills that are being taught because the knowledge and skills from the earlier class are presupposed.</p>

<p>Do you own a laptop right now? </p>

<p>If you do, you may want to gamble on it being adequate, knowing that there is a possibility that you'll have to buy a new laptop very fast. I might well take that gamble: I might have to take what's available that meets the standards, meaning I might end up buying a more expensive machine than I would have if I'd bought it before starting school, but I might not have to buy a new laptop at all.</p>

<p>If you don't, and you're going shopping and you want to save money, buying a laptop that doesn't meet the minimum standards is also a gamble. And because I'd have to spend money on a laptop now anyway and I might have to buy a second, more expensive, laptop later, there's less to win and more to lose on this gamble. I wouldn't take it.</p>

<p>If they do check, will you let us know? Now I'm curious.</p>

<p>lol wait! Slow your roll, haha. I don't understand. What would they actually make you do on the laptop? I thought college was kind of like high school except no busy work. I hear that most professors don't even care what you do.</p>

<p>Is it norm for professors to have you run programs on your laptop? Even if they did, I can't imagine the minimum amount of recommended RAM to be anywhere near 2.00 GB. Even the most strenuous programs don't even require that (2.00 GB), let alone 4.00 GB.</p>

<p>To answer your question, yes I do have a very powerful laptop (3.00 GB RAM, 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo, 300 GB Hard Drive).</p>

<p>You're telling my CAD software doesnt require more then 2 gigs of RAM?</p>

<p>lol, I've personally ran Sony Vegas, Cinema 4D, Photo Shop, After Effects, and 3D MAX Studio on 2.00 GB with no problems or hold ups.</p>

<p>However, I don't know anything about CAD Programs and how physically demanding they are. What I do know is that I'm not going to go into Engineering or Computer Art.</p>

<p>Why would they have minimum requirements for a laptop? And you're right, the laptop they're requesting is basically for gamers (just add a video card). It sounds ridiculous--I don't have that and I'm a CS major.</p>

<p>I think nontraditional's main point is this: no one will care if you don't have an "appropriate" laptop if I end up being wrong. No one--including your professor. You'll deal with it yourself.</p>

<p>Thus:

[quote]
buying a laptop that doesn't meet the minimum standards is also a gamble

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Maybe if you're running CAD and Matlab and compiling java code and downloading movies on utorrent without the cache transferring to HDD properly than you'll be screwed. IDK.</p>

<p>Walmart sells laptops with your minimum specifications for $500. Windows 7 recommends a minimum of 4 GB RAM. We are not talking about high-end machines here.</p>

<p>Your college probably does not want students to buy computers that will be obsolete in two years. If you already have a computer you like, I would not get a new one until you want to upgrade or your college forces you to comply with campus policies.</p>

<p>Your computer will be obsolete in 2 years anyways. </p>

<p>It's financially irresponsible to buy the "latest technology" when the useful life of a CPU these days is ~3 years. Prices are dropping so fast it's silly not to buy a slightly downgraded laptop at $350 dollars instead of the high-end laptops at around ~$1000. This year's 1000 dollar laptop is next year's 350--Alienware excluded.</p>

<p>Don't buy an expensive laptop for more RAM. You can just chuck in a bigger RAM disk after you buy the cheap laptop. It's a very cheap part of the computer.</p>