do colleges have to know why a kid transferred high schools?

<p>do colleges have to know why a kid transferred high schools?</p>

<p>Well, if they were expelled from the first school you will have to disclose that on the application.</p>

<p>No.</p>

<p>Unless there's a story there that's relevant to an AdCom.</p>

<p>In that case, for better or for worse, you probably want to be in control of that narrative and take the risk that it may (or may not) crop up unexpectedly where, if you're lucky, you'll get a chance to explain the circumstances from a position of defensiveness and lacking credibility with the AdCom. And, again, that's only if you're lucky. More likely, they'll just receive the information from the third party source and move on to review the applications of other qualified applicants who don't have a story that they have to investigate more deeply.</p>

<p>If you moved towns or if there's something obvious that spurred the move, there's no need to supplement your application. If something more problematic was involved, don't let someone at the first school answer the "why" question and cut you out of the loop. And if something that works to your advantage was the catalyst, I'm assuming that no advice is needed from Internet message board strangers to understand that that's something you'll probably want to share.</p>

<p>No. I got into all of my choices (several top 50 + obviously BYU) and I never bothered to clarify why i moved.</p>