Do colleges verify community service hours, instruments, clubs, etc..?

<p>I'm a skeptical junior wondering about admissions:</p>

<p>I've played both piano and violin for several years and have MTAC testings for them...But I also play the viola and guitar but don't have a test on them. Viola (i'm going to test probably soon and make cd recording) but guitar i just play for leisure (i suck and i don't want them to know it). What does the admissions office really want to know?</p>

<p>Also...for community service...i've done over a hundred hours in freshman year for keyclub but fuggers didn't record it! only for sophomore and junior year (both years which i didn't participate that much). What do I do?</p>

<p>Also...For clubs and stuff...do they really check? I might have forgotton if i did this 1 club (forgot if i got credit for it b/c i went only a few times).... What do i do?</p>

<p>I don't think most admissions offices will have the time to check if all your hours of extra-curriculars are on the dot. Most of them will trust you when you sign the bit that confirms that all you have said is true because most people won't lie, knowing that that could mean their universities withdrawing their offers if they find out you have been lying. Some of your teacher evaluations should confirm your community service anyway, not the amount of hours you do, but just that it is a proof of your being an active member of society.</p>

<p>Colleges are interested far more in quality of one's ECs than in the quantity of them. Things like simply joining a club don't impress them. What does impress them is students showing a longterm commitment through ECs by pursuing the ECs and by having an impact on the organization through obtaining leadership positions (which one's recommendations typically will document), doing things in the organization that had an impact (such as raising a lot of $ for the organization or starting new initiatives. Typically, too, such actions are documented through the essay, interview or recommendations) or winning contests, participating in select organizations related to the EC (such as being a member of a community orchestra or of All State Band) etc.</p>

<p>Simply piling up hours and hours of random community service isn't impressive. It simply seems like one is trying to resume dress. People who do community sevice out of genuine interest usually will focus on certain types of community service and will, in their essays or interviews, be able to articulate how the experience shaped them, why they selected those activities and how they impacted those activities.</p>

<p>Through various experiences, I have had lots of opportunities to inteview students about their ECs. It is very easy to identify students who pad their resumes. When one asks for specifics about their involvement, their answers are vague and sparse. </p>

<p>Don't take the risk of having admission officers see you as a person who misrepresents their achievements. Adcoms would prefer to admit someone with weak ECs than someone who is unethical.</p>

<p>Lying on one's application also could cause your admission to be rescinded and even your college diploma to be rescinded. It's not worth the risk.</p>

<p>bump....................</p>

<p>I don't think colleges have the time to check everything, but it doesn't benefit you to lie. Although if it's just a case of things you've done not being recorded, there's nothing wrong with writing it down.</p>

<p>I'm want to give an accurate surmise of my EC. I will obviously articulate when i describe them, but i still will try to be as accurate as possible. It's just some stuff that isn't for certain...i will want to mention...but don't want to get slaughtered for it.</p>

<p>Yes, college confidential is bound to supply every college with the real name of anyone who asks this question. You will be found out!</p>

<p>Actually, I always thought of that. I always wondered if kids could cheat on the suppl. material too. Send in a tape of their teacher playing the violin or something. But think of it! If they want you to be in the orchestra or something, you're dead!!!!!!! So...... I think it's about personal honesty, y'know?</p>