Do I have a chance gettting accepted to a four year school?

<p>Hi, I'm new to this forum, found it googling looking for answers to my plight. I had a 4.0 in high school, got a 1720 on the SATs - things were looking good. I graduated in 2006 and went to PSU in their meteorology program. Wasn't for me, did okay my first semester but discovered booze in the subsequent semesters and finished with an abysmal GPA - somewhere around 1.5 (I'm not certain and don't know how to check it to be honest). I moved back home in 2008 and transferred to Community College of Philadelphia where I messed about some more for two semesters until I got straight A's last fall. I did okay last semester, and besides the classes I failed or withdrew for being a jackass and not showing up for I got A's and B's. Right now my GPA at CCP is ~3.5 and it's going to go up as I finish my time there. I have about a semester and a half left to go before I have to leave.</p>

<p>So I'm sort of stuck here, I know my cumulative GPA is poor and is probably around 2.5 (maybe more, maybe less, until I can get my hands on my PSU transcript I can't figure out with any certainty). </p>

<p>So with that I need to get into a four year school. I'd like to get into Temple for environmental science but have no idea if they'll even look at my application, especially if it's less then 2.5. I don't know what other schools where I live will look at me (I doubt Penn or Drexel will ;)) or what my backup schools would be. I mean is trying to get back into PSU an option, take the classes I failed again...but that would mean I would take eight years to get my bachelor's, and I want to get it as fast as I possibly can. </p>

<p>So I'm stressing over this right now and I don't know what to do. I do know if I can't transfer I'm going to have to enlist (and of course the Coast Guard is cutting a thousand billets so fat chance getting myself in my branch of choice). This all also plays in to how I want to apply for officer candidate school for the Coast Guard once I graduate. </p>

<p>Anyone want to help me here? Be honest.</p>

<p>Go visit the transfer office at your current community college. Talk with them about your options. They help students with records much worse than yours every day of the week. They will have suggestions for you.</p>

<p>You also should visit the department you are interested in at Temple, and the transfer admissions office there. Find out what you need to do in order to be admitted. Remember, your most recent grades are the most important ones. Lots of people are young and stupid when they are, well, young and stupid. The point you want to bring across when you meet with the folks at Temple is that you have grown up and got your act together, and you are now committed to becoming an asset to their program.</p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.</p>

<p>Temple is every bit as competitive as Drexel.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Go visit the transfer office at your current community college. Talk with them about your options. They help students with records much worse than yours every day of the week. They will have suggestions for you.</p>

<p>You also should visit the department you are interested in at Temple, and the transfer admissions office there. Find out what you need to do in order to be admitted. Remember, your most recent grades are the most important ones. Lots of people are young and stupid when they are, well, young and stupid. The point you want to bring across when you meet with the folks at Temple is that you have grown up and got your act together, and you are now committed to becoming an asset to their program.</p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.

[/quote]
I didn't even think about that...good idea. </p>

<p>
[quote]
Temple is every bit as competitive as Drexel.

[/quote]
I believe you, but people here think it's an easy school to get in, that's what I was led to believe anyway.</p>

<p>Well people here are wrong.</p>

<p>All of my evidence is anecdotal, of course. But, it seems that Temple's reputation travels a little better. Plenty of people I've met in New York, or even further away, have heard of Temple and/or know people who have attended one if its schools. Drexel doesn't seem to carry the same weight.</p>

<p>Many people also think we're a private university.</p>