Do I have a chance of getting admitted to Northwestern, UChicago, or Johns Hopkins?

<p>Hello everyone, </p>

<p>I am a prospective student hoping to attend a 4 year University. However, the school I attend is very small with a graduating class of only 100+. Accelerated, honors, and AP classes are very limited as well. With this being said though, I have taken the hardest courses possible hoping to impress my dream schools: Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, and UChicago. </p>

<p>I am currently in the top ten percent of my class with a 95.79, or 4.0 GPA unweighted. These are the classes I have taken or am currently enrolled in: </p>

<p>English I, II, III honors
AP Literature and Composition
Calculus
CP Biology
CP Chemistry
Anatomy and Physiology
CP Physics
CP World History and US History I
US History II Honors
Sociology & Genocidal Studies
French I, II, III, IV
Spanish II, III
AP Spanish
Personal Finance & Computer Applications
Computer Literacy & Applications </p>

<p>At my school, I have won an award for “Excellence in Foreign Language.” I have been awarded a certificate by the American Chemistry Society for having the highest GPA in the Chemistry course offered at my school. I am also acknowledged as the best writer at my school which has been included in my recommendation letters. </p>

<p>I have and/or currently participate in: </p>

<p>Cross Country- 10,11, 12 (On Varsity all three years)
Track & Field- 10,11, 12 (On Varsity Squad)
Church Youth Group
Police Explorers- 12 </p>

<p>Work Experience: </p>

<p>Landscaper for Jay’s Landscaping- 11, 12
Cashier/Store Associate for Party City- 12 </p>

<p>Intern Experience:</p>

<p>Virtual Journalist Intern for Online Webzine - 11</p>

<p>I will be the first-generation family member to attend college and the first in my family to attend college. I am Hispanic. </p>

<p>My SAT scores were low however with a 1710. I have been studying 3-5 hours a night to bring it up at least 500 points. If I receive a 2250+ on my next SAT, which I take December 7th, do I have a shot at getting in at one of these schools? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance :)!!!</p>

<p>Match with the 2250+…
With anything less than a 2k, I’d say (high) reach.</p>

<p>how do you get a 4.0 and then a 1710.</p>

<p>u wot m8</p>

<p>Because my school’s course system is detritus. They do not prep any students at all for the SAT and it’s pretty easy to get A’s as long as you pay attention, do your homework, and score a B or higher on the test. That’s why I’m studying almost 5 hours a night to improve my SAT score because I want to attend a University where I am going to be challenged and where I can actually be part of clubs and scientific research. Our Valedictorian got a 1690 on her SAT and the Salutatorian got a 1510. It’s extremely ridiculous and bull****.</p>

<p>Get the 2250, as a Hispanic with a strong skill set, and what I sense is real motivation, it’s in your hands if you’ll get into these top schools. If val/sal only got 1700’s, nobody in your school has beaten that?</p>

<p>lol wow I wish I went to your school. People with 1600’s can be top of the class…? In my school, top of the class means 2300+.</p>

<p>If you get that 2250 you’ll be an extremely strong candidate given that you’re a first generation hispanic (two extremely strong hooks)</p>

<p>Not sure how you’ll be able to pull off going from a 1710 to a 2250 though. Good luck</p>

<p>It is really difficult, even with significant amounts of studying, to raise your SAT’s THAT much. It’s possible, though, and if you can get it to a 2250+ these schools will be reachable.</p>

<p>You’re setting the bar to high. A 2250+ is really hard to pull off, even for smart students. Don’t focus on getting that, it’s a semi unrealistic goal that will disappoint you. What you want is over a 2000, especially with the schools you’ve listed, most of their ranges are comfortably there. Setting the bar that high might demoralize you versus motivate you. Breaking 2000 is definitely a feasible goal.</p>

<p>Considering applying for the ACTs ASAP. You might be more inclined to do better on those, especially if you consider yourself to be a study-oriented student. This, however, is my opinion. I didn’t take them and only heard that’s the case.</p>

<p>My friend got a 2290 without studying (he only missed vocab questions), I hate him.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, and no, I wasn’t the only student in my high school to receive higher than a 1700. However, those were the scores of the Valedictorian and Salutatorian. The highest was a 2070. The student who managed to score a 2070 is currently fourth in the class. The education system at my school fails students who could succeed at prestigious Universities by not offering the proper education in Grammar, literature, terminology, and mathematics. My first year of Algebra was atrocious. The class was designed as a “tech-yourself” course and I gained absolutely no knowledge. It wasn’t until Algebra II where my skills in math actually developed. This, however, reflects in my SAT score of only a 580 in Math. By studying for the Math section so far, I have probably taught myself more mathematics than all my years in high school. I know it’s going to be hard aiming for a 2200, but I am up for the challenge, and I’m studying concepts, grammar, and vocab I have never learned in high school. So, hopefully that plays as a factor in increasing my score. I really want to be one among the few of my school’s alumni to attend an extremely prestigious University and escape New Jersey. I love learning and I really just want to attend a University that will offer the best research opportunities possible. Thank you everyone for the answers. I am extremely appreciative :)!!</p>

<p>You blame the lack of SAT prep, but most public schools schools don’t really offer anything, at least mine doesn’t. I do know where you’re coming from, I have a tiny school with very limited AP/honors that doesn’t help students with standardized testing at all. All my SAT stuff has been self study and I got a 2250 so it’s definitely possible, not sure about going from a 1710 though. Without DRASTIC (unrealistic) improvements in scores, they’re high reaches, sorry :frowning: try the ACT?</p>

<p>lol american education is essentially teach yourself.</p>

<p>All I can hope for is the best and that my studying pays off in the end. Otherwise, I’ll be going to some school in NJ where I will just have to prove myself to be the outstanding student I am.</p>