Do I have enough EC's? How's the quality?

<ul>
<li><p>Played High School Tennis for Four Years
Junior Varsity - Two Years
Varsity - Two Years</p></li>
<li><p>Part of High School Quizbowl Team for Four Years
Made it to states each year
Participated at states and other competitions before states</p></li>
<li><p>Debate Team for Three Years
First year was Novice Debate
Second and Third were Varsity Debates</p></li>
<li><p>Charity Program at School Two Years
Helped with fundraiser for St.Judes
Collected Money for Unicef
Participated in other activities</p></li>
<li><p>Multicultural Club at School Two years
Participated</p></li>
<li><p>Hospital Volunteering about 100 Hours
Worked in an Office
Helped with Popcorn Popping
Helped with sending Financial AID letters out</p></li>
<li><p>Medical Research
Researched Bone marrow Stem Cells
Participated in lab work</p></li>
<li><p>Campaigned and Canvassing for State Senate
Went Door to Door
Helped work in Democratic Headquarters of town</p></li>
</ul>

<p>How are my EC's?
Below Average/Average/Above Average/Excellent?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for the help and I'm not sure on the hours for Research and Campaigning.</p>

<p>I'd say your EC's are pretty good, but you lack leadership positions in them. You're volunteering and doing research is good, especially if you're looking towards medicine. So I'd say you're EC's are a little above average.</p>

<p>The leadership thing is so stupid though does it really matter that much? I ran for something in MCC and I did the most work but I still lost because it's a popularity contest. Can not having a leadership position really hurt the EC that much? Pretty unfair for me.</p>

<p>^ seriously. no one cares these days about how qualified a person is for the leadership position. it's all about popularity.</p>

<p>They are good, but they seem a bit scattered.</p>

<p>Yes, leadership is extremely important. Your lack of leadership positions will certainly work against you.</p>

<p>Anyone can play tennis, but not anyone can be captain of the team. Understand? Colleges are looking for the captains.</p>

<p>Yes, because being a captain of a high school sports team (especially tennis, which usually has about ten or so people on the team) is such a tremendous responsibility and requires skill that few people possess.</p>

<p>^ It was an example for the sake of an analogy, smart guy.</p>

<p>I do agree that a lot of high school leadership positions are a popularity contest. But so are all the other leadership positions in the real world.</p>

<p>^^I guess you're right. I mean, regardless of how nominal the majority of high school leadership positions are (and colleges know this), they still help in admissions because colleges themselves are, for the most part, superficial...
^...just like the real world.</p>

<p>yeah it sucks that leadership can be a complete popularity contest, but colleges do like seeing that in at least one activity. If you can't get any leadership positions try to show passion for your EC in your personal statements and essays.</p>

<p>It can be a popularity contest but colleges still want to know that you are invested in these ECs and your peers look at you as a community leader.</p>

<p>As for the OP, your ECs are kind of scattered all over the place. You have many which is good I guess, but just looking at your ECs, I can't tell where your academic passions lie. It screams quantity over quality to me.</p>

<p>I'm not applying to any IVY League schools or any schools in the top 50 or 60. I'm pretty sure my EC's are above average after discussing with my friends. I'm interested in Biology and I can't get more than 1 or 2 ec's that deal with it. I don't see what I could do so my EC's aren't scattered.</p>

<p>Sorry, but what the crap are you doing making a thread then? If you're so sure about defending your ECs then aren't you basically asking for one answer and one answer only? Here. I'll give it to you:</p>

<p>Your ECs are fantastic and will get you into where you want to go.</p>

<p>Additionally, another reason this thread doesn't make sense is a reason you already nailed: you can't change them anymore.</p>

<p>Your Ec's are good, but if you want to make an impression on a college you have to phrase them to sound like you did something different. State how much money you raised for UNICEF. (Unless it was a small amount like $25.) And popcorn popping isn't an achievement, but some other things that you do are, (research with stem cells) so go into detail about that.</p>