Do i need to apply as a transfer or freshman?

<p>Hi all , </p>

<p>This fall, i am going to attend in college as a freshman. While in my freshman year , i would like to apply to some colleges. So i am just wondering which one is correct option for me, freshman or transfer.</p>

<p>for example, i found this from the University of Chicago's transfer web page . </p>

<p>-Who does Chicago consider to be an transfer applicant? You are a transfer applicant if you have completed one term as a full-time student in a degree-seeking program at another college or university. </p>

<p>By the time of application deadline, i wouldn't have completed one term. So i should apply as a freshman , right?</p>

<p>You'd apply as a transfer. From U Chicago's website: </p>

<p>"Transfer applicants may only enter the College in the fall quarter. All of the materials listed below must be postmarked or submitted electronically by March 1."</p>

<p>By March you will have completed one term at another college/ university.</p>

<p>c_r is correct, you apply as a transfer, but it would have been true even if UChicago accepted spring transfers.</p>

<p>It is the number of units/terms you will have completed by the time you TRANSFER, not when you APPLY. While definitions of who must apply as a transfer vary from school to school, it it ALWAYS the number of units/terms completed before you matriculate, not when you apply. It's just like when you applied as a fr, you are evaluated for admission BEFORE all of your classes are complete, but matriculate based your FINAL record.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Attention Freshman Applicants
We understand that some candidates currently in our freshman pool may qualify for transfer admission if currently enrolled in college. Ordinarily, those candidates would not be allowed to apply for freshman admission. Because of the timing of Harvard's announcement of intention to admit transfers for Fall 2010, we will allow candidates to choose to remain in the freshman pool or to move to the transfer pool. Such candidates may choose which educational experience is best for them and choose one applicant pool, but may not be in both.

[/quote]

how about this ?</p>

<p>My understanding is that that was a one time provision for fall 2010 due to the late date that H decided to accept transfer applicants. Truthfully, that statement never made any sense to me! </p>

<p>Read their definition of transfer applicants and you will see that it always refers to how much college you have completed when you matriculate, not when you apply. That was my point in the above post. That holds true for all colleges, even though the amount of college may vary from a single college course (eg. GWU) to a full year (eg. H).</p>

<p>Harvard</a> College Admissions § Applying: Transfer Program</p>