Do the ivies put value on personality?

<p>Say your stats are mediocre in comparison to most applications, (ex. 2150 SAT, 31 ACT, 3.78 UW GPA), you don't have over the top extracurriculars (You actually had a life in high school), and you're not a National Merit Finalist or a first-generation college. However, you have outstandingly creative essays, and obvious passion for an extra curricular such as photography? (in obvious I mean multiple county and state awards for multiple photos, published in a local newspaper multiple times, photographer and editor for the highschool newspaper, photo internship, and own photo business)</p>

<p>I'm just simply curious, do the ivies (Yale in particular- I've read they have the strongest program in fine arts) put a lot of value on someone who pursues their passion and lets their personality shine through, or do we all have to be valedictorians?
All opinions welcomed!</p>

<p>Being very good at extracurriculars/school/SAT != not having a life. Just saying. Your presupposition to the contrary is not likely to get you nice answers, especially here at CC.</p>

<p>All fellow admits I have talked to have gotten in doing the thing(s) they love and having a life in the process. Then again, I probably would not have the opportunity to talk to those who hide in their rooms studying all the time. I doubt that they are significantly represented, though.</p>

<p>The problem is...there's a handful of kids who "don't have a life" and get stellar grades+test scores, yet also exhibit "personality" by pursuing their passion simultaneously.</p>

<p>blue: Schools like Yale value people who excel academically and clearly are hungry scholars to boot. They are opinion leaders and contribute greatly to the community around them. They tend to be fascinated by others who excel rather than denigrate them as being losers with no lives.</p>

<p>Yes Yale wants strong personalities and interesting stories. Your hurdle is that there will be tons of strong personalities and interesting stories who happen to be 3.96 GPA, 35 ACT students as well. Given the multiplicity of those types of applicants, you can understand the very difficult task of sorting through the pile.</p>

<p>I was just joking when i made that remark!</p>

<p>Of course. They take everything into account. They may not be perfect at gleaning personality from a bunch of paper that an applicant submits, but they try their best.</p>