Do they take your prospective major into account

<p>I heard that if you try to apple for a college where they get say, a lot of math majors or something, you'll have a less chance of getting in because the classes will be filled. And say you knew the college had a lot of people looking for math majors there, and you put some much less taken there, say French Literature. Would saying your prospective major to be something less taken make you more likely to get admitted?</p>

<p>Not if your EC record shows no previous involvement in French lit. If all your ECs are math/science related and you put down philosophy you will not be very convincing. However, if you do happen to show extensive involvement with philosophy, you can try that.</p>

<p>Adcoms know that you're only seventeen or eighteen though, and you probably don't know what you want to do in life at seventeen, so they'll read everything with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>It depends on the university. Some do and some don't.</p>

<p>Oh Ok thanks guys. It sounds like something that might work if I have EC's showing my interest in that area. I guess that might work as some small sort of hook, lol.</p>

<p>If you're not a French lit buff--with ECs, awards, and recs to back it up--you'll look silly putting it down as your prospective major. But if you have dual interests, it may be in your best interest to highlight your involvement in the less popular of the two.</p>