Do you hold on to any of your vintage pieces of clothing.

I give old clothes to Big Brothers and Big Sisters twice a year and have very little vintage stuff. I a few baby clothes from my kids and a dress that my younger daughter wore when she was a flower girl. I also have a Diane Von Furstenberg signature wrap dress from 1979 (wore it when I first met my husband). Apparently, her wrap dresses are back in style. My younger daughter, who has been camped out here since COVID discovered it and promptly took it for herself!

Not exactly “vintage” but I have a four piece Vera Bradley skirt, cami, jacket, belt set from the ‘80s. It’s a discontinued Vera Bradley pattern, and of course they don’t make clothing anymore. Not sure why I am keeping it.

I give away to the Salvation Army (ordinary, in good shape, that some less fortunate person could use right away,) and a very good local church thrift shop (better clothing. Inventory there turns pretty quickly.) But I live in some odd fear of seeing “my” stuff in one of those places or on a stranger, out and about.

Some things can be sold online.

I have t-shirts from the 1980’s that I still wear regularly. Getting dressed this morning I almost put on a t-shirt from the 1988 America’s Cup race in San Diego. I have quite a few t-shirts from specific events.

The trick is to wash them inside out on the gentle cycle. The other trick to to only wear the shirts that were a bit large back then, because they are the ones that fit properly now.

I have a small number of other items that are still good to wear from the 1980’s. One is a Burberry’s coat.

I do have some other clothes that no longer fit me. This thread has reminded me that I should take a bunch to Goodwill.

I still have my wedding dress ca.1992. It’s an Alfred Angelo It’s completely free of beads and lace, not super shiny, and no big puffy sleeves, no cutouts. It appeared on the cover of Modern Bride Magazine the month after I ordered it. It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever even come close to being ahead of a trend. I still have the Alfred Angelo catalog I found it in, and a copy of the magazine.

I also have my old prom and homecoming dresses. My mom made a couple of them (one is a one shoulder number with a big bow on that shoulder, dark blue metallic lamé taffeta-ish that looks very ‘80’s ), one we got as a designer sample in Los Angeles garment district (strapless, pink sparkly tulle, tea length, 1988), another from the Gunne Sax outlet.

I also have a shirt that was my grandpa’s. It’s bright orange, yellow, purple patterned with that wide 70’s collar. So bright. I have photos of my grandpa wearing it. My son thinks it’s great. He loves vintage and finds all kinds of cool stuff at thrift shops.

As I was getting dressed this morning I did a quick scan of my closet/drawers - I don’t think I have anything except maybe a tshirt or two that is older than 7-8 years. I prefer a lean closet of things I love so I think I’ve always weeded out pretty regularly.

About 30 years ago I got my driver’s license renewed. I was wearing a green plaid short sleeve shirt. Four years later I go back to renew my license and the clerk commented that I was wearing the same shirt I had on 4 years earlier. It was unintentional. So I decided that the shirt would be my “driver’s license renewal shirt”. So every time I get my license renewed I wear the shirt. It is only worn one day every 4 years. It still fits!

I have half a dozen very nice dressy items from the 90s that I hung on to and so far D18 and D21 fight over them since they are the right size now. I had several more, but foolishly asked when the kids were in middle school and since there was no interest, I donated them. Now they will ask for more and I tell them, you should have told me to keep them!

My Mom made clothes for me for many years, and even after I started work in the early '70s, she made several wonderful outfits. I’ve outgrown them, and over time donated everything except a terrific 4-piece suit that has traveled with me over the course of 5 moves. My daughter once used it as a costume in elementary school, when she had to dress as a professional woman seeking a job. So it has all sorts of sentimental value.

My sister had several very classic tie-around-the waist aprons that Mom made. She recently gave me one, which had wonderful detail and featured cats. A talented friend of mine turned it into 3 great masks, so now my sister, daughter, and I each have a very special mask.

Haven’t kept too much. I have a pair of beautifully detailed pants that I purchased in France while on a high school summer exchange program in 1971. It was my first trip to Europe and though they aren’t quite right for me today (ahem…), they bring back a special moment in time.

Also have a beautiful small bag that my mother brought back from the Florence leather school shop in the late 70s. While it is not a daily use item, I have cherished how well made it is and it is perfect for some formal occasions. Black with a buttery soft, fire engine red leather interior. A rare find.

This is a fun topic. Thanks for starting the thread, @conmama.

Oh, if you want to talk handbags . . . .

I have a Coach leather handbag from 1972. Yeah, really. It’s an oldie but goodie, and probably worth a fortune.

A Talbots shoulder bag from 1995. A few beaded clutch purses that were my aunt’s. And, the most vintage of all, the clutch purse I used at my senior prom! I still use it.

"I don’t think I have anything except maybe a tshirt or two that is older than 7-8 years. " - That’s impressive.

I suspect I have more older clothes than new. Ha, some of them “fit again” which has been nice. I did get rid of most that are too big.

I have given my girls vintage (1990’s) Chanel bags. I used to buy few designer bags every year and I still have most of them. There was a period of time when I used to go to London quite often (work and pleasure). I would pick up a Burberry jacket/coat from there every once in a while and I still wear those jackets.

I would love a vintage Chanel bag and a Burberry trench coat!

My sons dad would meet downtown to buy a BD gift. We ended up buying a navy Burberry coat. I certainly don’t need it in FL, and it’s easier to travel with a short jacket, but I can’t give it away.

I also have my first Coach bag, denim blue

Oh man, many years of various Homecoming dress-up days made me wish I kept everything! Sometimes we planned ahead and made some thrift stops, other times we were digging around closets at 10pm the night before! (Side note: For Decades Day one year, DD’19 wanted to do Peggy Carter- 1940s. We went to one thrift store and found a size 2 blue pencil skirt suit, size 5.5 retro mary jane heels, and a red fedora. Seriously, what are the chances.)

I’ve kept a quality winter coat from the 80’s that I love. Problem is the huge shoulder pads, so it sits in the closet. Sure wish they would come back in style!

Just looked in my closet. A 70s Reed T-shirt. A 1987 SF Giants division championship tee. An assortment of shirts from various softball teams. It’s more of a picture album than anything else. Memories.

I kept a long purple down coat from NY 1980s, even though there are many winters in CO where it is not cold enough to need it. It was nice a few years back when down coats started to reappear in catalogs… no temptation to order a new one.

I have a camel hair coat. Double breasted, belt in the back. I’m not sure how old it is. I’ve had a coat like this for as long as I can remember. It’s a classic…not vintage.