I kept my dad’s camel hair, classic coat for years. I realize my son would never wear such a coat, so it went to charity. Also his bar mitzvah suit and graduation suit, the latter lovely but he won’t be that thin again.
What does one do with jackets that have his name embroidered on them?
Did anybody wear their parents clothes at halloween. My sister and I had a variety of costumes from my mother’s old dresses (short style for her, long for us…usually with winter coat underneath). One year I had a bride costume based on her wedding dress poufy white underskirt and her veil.
I got rid of a lot of great professional clothing that turned out not to be as timeless as I had hoped, and my body also turned out not to be as timeless as I had hoped.
@colorado_mom Slightly off topic, both kids abandoned costumes from years of fraternity/sorority mixers at home. One year H & I dressed up as a greek mixer gone bad for a last minute costume party. Not everyone got it, but I thought it was fun (and free).
When I was in college one dorm hosted a “Tacky Party” every year. My mother (who held onto everything) was mortified when I wanted to scour through her clothing for something “tacky.“ I selected a knit, thee-piece set in purples and pinks. It had palazzo pants, a tank/shell top and an open jacket all in the same floral print. The jacket had pink Maribou feather on the cuffs and collar. She had worn it to a junior league event, probably in the late 60’s/early 70s, so it definitely wasn’t tacky at the time she wore it!
I have my Dad’s army jacket. He’s 84 and still in great health. I used to wear it in college. I love it. I keep it in a chest. I have some old clothes that have memories built in. I have a coat someone traded in Russia when I was there in the 80’s. A beret from when I lived in France and a blanket from Romania.
I have a few things, not exactly vintage. I have a pair of “skinny” jeans from the 80s. I’m 20 pounds less now but they’re still tight at the waist. Our bodies really do change.
I also have 2 Laura Ashley dresses from the 80s. They weren’t mean to be maternity dresses but that’s how I wore them. One was a sailor style tent and the other a floral with a lace collar that had a sash you could remove. I remember how trendy I felt wearing them.
@daylily1, your post reminded me - I had some Levi’s that I embroidered when I was in middle school. I wore those jeans at least around the house, and for some reason to pick strawberries, until well into my 30s. At some point I must have thrown them out.
Now I probably couldn’t see well enough to embroider.
I have my college Lacrosse team jersey - it probably still fits, though I haven’t worn it since. I just passed on to my daughter camo pants and shirt I bought for an office paintball outing in 1992.
If old = “vintage”, my wife has lots of vintage clothes.