Do you pay more to shop at locally owned stores?

<p>Do you pay more to shop at locally owned stores. </p>

<p>Examples - buy products at non-chain drugstore in lieu of Walgreens
- buy food at IGA in lieu of Wal-Mart, Safeway, Krogers, etc
- buy light bulbs and hardware supplies at Ace franchise in lieu of Lowes, Wal-Mart, Home Depot?</p>

<p>I hear lots of people say that they don't buy at Wal-Mart because they support local companies. However, I save a bundle of money shopping at Wal-Mart (prices are 25% less than Safeway, 50% less than locally owned store) and it makes no sense to me to pay a lot more because of the store ownership.</p>

<p>(Or, do you consider Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger to be locally owned since lots of people own Wal-Mart through their 401(k) and other investment?)</p>

<p>There's a lot of blurring between locals and chains. I used to shop at CVS when it was a local and fairly small outfit. Now it's a massive company that has spread far from New England. Same with Dunkin Donuts. We have Market Basket, a low-cost chain of stores that is local to New England. Is that a local store or a chain? Their prices are generally better than WalMart for groceries and they hire a lot of local high-school kids to work there.</p>

<p>We have very few true local stores anymore where the chains have made inroads. The most recent time I was at a true local store was at the local Sew and Vac store - they only have one store. Before that it was my vision care place - they only have two stores.</p>

<p>I do. I nearly always shop at our local supermarket. They have zillions of checkers, and baggers so you never have to wait. The fish guy is friendly and always gives you a free lemon. You can order up special cuts for holiday dinner from the butcher. </p>

<p>Walmart has cleaned up their act a lot, so you can probably feel not too guilty about shopping there. </p>

<p>I also make an effort to shop in my town, not the next one over when I can - so we get the sale tax revenue and so that our struggling downtown doesn't go under.</p>

<p>No. I shop for the best price and convenience. We lost our local drugstores to the chains years ago- and don't frequent Walgreens in lieu of Target/Walmart. I usually prefer the regional to Walmart for groceries- but why pay 50% more or travel many extra miles for the same item? I do try to use my side of town instead of the other and our city instead of out of town. One could choose one brand over another to support local industries, but I go with what I like best.</p>

<p>Another question to ask is- do you shop locally or online? We will buy goods from online retailers instead of paying substantially more in local/chain stores that are employing people here if we like the product et al more. I will not subsidize a local electronics shop that has a high markup.</p>

<p>Still another seasonal issue is charities. We refuse to give to the Salvation Army because we disagree totally with their religion and proselytizing while meeting physical needs. We are generous with the local library system instead- food for the soul. We also give to some national/international charities/causes. So we have a mix of local and other. Do others try to give locally, nationally or both?</p>

<p>I pay less to shop at military commissaries because that is part of our benefits.</p>

<p>I pay less to shop at Costco and Target for basics.</p>

<p>I pay more to buy from local specialty places such as a family owned hardware store, plant nursery, appliance store, restaurants, and pick your own produce farms.</p>

<p>I also try to hire local (from our town or at least our county) plumbers, contractors, electricians, etc.</p>

<p>When I stop in at the small local shops, it is because they have something that I can't get at Costco/Target/WalMart. And this is really what they have to do in order to stay in business. Offer what you can't get elsewhere. And frankly, the big stores don't sell everything (it just seems that way - LOL). </p>

<p>That said, price is important to me, but I will pay more to buy something made in the US. Bummer that it is so difficult to find such items.</p>

<p>I am probably the exception here. I live in a very small tourist town. We are forty five minutes from a big box store. No Target, no Walmart. We had two independent family owned groceries. About eight years ago we got an Albertsons ten minutes away. That was big news. We buy almost everything local. Our bookstore still wraps, the clerks all know me by name. I like it that way. Definitely pay more though.</p>

<p>Sadly there are very few locally owned stores where I live. I would shop them if I could.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I'm not a supporter of the Salvation Army but I knew someone that worked for them manning their phone lines. He told me about his work there and said that they do a significant amount of work in suicide prevention - basically they provide an ear to listen to people.</p>

<p>We don't have Target/Walmart that are close. HomeDepot a half hour away. I go to the local hardware store, mini chain markets (Bristol Farms and Gelsons) and the Farmer's Market for meat.</p>

<p>I also try and buy American made products.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, there aren't many independednt stores left. I shop at a local chain - Costco. Their headquarters used to be just 13 miles from my house in Kirkland ("Kirkland Signature" products), but now moved 10 miles east to Issaquah. :) Costco happens to be the closest grocery store for me. For coffee, I also go to another local chain - Starbucks. Another local business is the greatest place on Earth for shoes and clothes (you guessed it right - Nordstrom). However, I do not shop at another local business - Amazon (too much cheap Chinese crap, fake stuff, pain to deal with returns, etc.). I always buy plants at the two local stores - Molbak's and Flower World, even though HD has cheaper plants (with green things, you do get what you paid for!). There is a couple of hardware/farm supply stores in town that DH and I like. My photo supplies are mostly from B&H (an independent store in NY - great place to find rare stuff like underwater housings and filters for camcorders!).</p>

<p>BTW, my experiment of not buying anything made in China is going great! I do find that I pay more, but the items I get are of much, much better quality and I shop more judiciously with fewer impulse purchases.</p>

<p>I don't even go into Walmart. Try to avoid Target, I now shop there maybe 3-4 times a year. (Before they were so in-your-face with their politics, I used to go there weekly.) </p>

<ul>
<li><p>I DO buy books at my local book store, even though I can get them cheaper at chains/discounts</p></li>
<li><p>I DO try to buy all kinds of gifts - jewelry, scarves, gifts for foreign friends/business contacts, hostess gifts (etc) at locally-owned artisan stores/galleries</p></li>
</ul>

<p>My local grocery store is owned by a national chain, so I don't really count it as an independent BUT the store is unusually community-oriented: very generous for fundraisers, with a hip 'everyone-is-welcome' vibe that attracts everyone from mercedes-driving yuppies to transgendered partiers. It's also THE best location to sell Girl Scout cookies - everyone buys them, in particular the local gay community which supports GS's "non-discriminatory" policies. And as the mother of a one-time GS girl who took part in zillion cookie sales, it's something I appreciate. </p>

<p>So I go out of my way to patronize it, even if parking is a heck of a lot easier at the Safeway a couple of blocks away...</p>

<p>Absolutely. But it's easier here as tons of independent ownership, far fewer chains, and Walmart was banned from the city.</p>

<p>It depends. I buy things like underwear and socks at chain stores...but I'll look for other clothes at the local places. Re: hardware items...I go where it costs less most of the time. It used to be that the independent hardware store had excellent service and knowledgeable clerks. That is no longer the case. I do go to a local toy store because the service and selection are awesome. I would never go to a chain for a haircut. Our Dunkin Donuts are owned by a local businessman...so we go there rather than Starbucks (we also like DD coffee better).</p>

<p>I do if I can find what I need at an independent store. We have a few gift shops, services like dog groomers and barbers, bakeries and jewelry stores that are independent, but we don't have independent grocers or drug stores. Most of our local groceries are chains, but I do try to shop locally. And I will pay up a bit to do it, but not just for their benefit. I like the more personal service, and I like the convenience of having these places in my neighborhood. If no one shopped there, they'd be gone.</p>

<p>I should mention that I do shop at a local grocery store for some items. I like it because it's SMALL and takes me 1/4 of the time to get my shopping done. The big chain "super" grocery stores are just too big...takes too long.</p>

<p>I've actually never been inside a WalMart. My mom has always been big on following companies to boycott, and when I was little, there was a long list (including no made in China) but she had such vitriol against WalMart that it's the one place that I don't think I could stomach going into, even today. </p>

<p>I totally follow the locally-owned thing as far as I can, and I'm living on a tight budget. I buy groceries at our local coop or Trader Joe's depending on what I need, but I try to get most produce from farmers markets. It's just so much better, and it's not necessarily more expensive if you're careful about what you buy and when. For example I buy a lot of beans and grains and such in bulk at the coop and coop them from dried, which is far cheaper than buying them canned anywhere. For stuff where it is significantly cheaper, I go to Trader Joe's, but they also just have so much that is unique to them.</p>

<p>I've also tried to do as much holiday shopping as I can from craft fairs and etsy because I prefer to support individuals.</p>

<p>Yes, i try to support locally-owned businesses and will spend more to do so -- i also support local agriculture as much as I can. Yes, I do some online and chain shopping, too. Yes, I also feel that the way I spend my money is an expression of my beliefs, which is one reason i never drop money in the Salvation Army buckets. I find other social service providers to support. The Salvation Army position statements are in this link:</p>

<p>The</a> Salvation Army: Position Statements</p>

<p>I shop at both kinds of stores. My town has a lovely little book store, which wraps for free, and I always shop there. I also buy most of Imy clothes at a local boutique. Our main grocery store is a local company still headquartered in the next door city although it is a large chain now, but I go to Walmart for staples as the items are $1 or more cheaper. We also support the local restaurants and rarely go to any chain. We go to both a big box home improvement store and our local family owned hardware store. We have an independent coffee shop which is fab (no Starbucks in town except at the market.) I, literally, haven't shopped in a mall store for years. They could all disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't miss them.</p>

<p>I'm curious as to how people define 'locally owned'? The reason I ask is I just found out this week that a business I was positive was locally owned and have supported for years is actually a chain of 100 stores. I felt sort of disappointed by this discovery. Although, the stores are locally operated (just like a lot of other chains), franchises are not really 'owned' by the person operating it. They have paid a licensing fee to have the right to operate under the franchise's banner within the terms of a contract. I think there are a lot more 'local' businesses that are actually franchises than we realize.</p>