Do you pay more to shop at locally owned stores?

<br>

<br>

<p>I’m sure that many people will go into a store for a brand-name item and try it on there and then order it online if they like it.</p>

<p>I have a piece of Capilene 3 which I bought about 25 years ago (the piece is still in good shape). The stuff is still sold though it is hard to find in retail stores - I’d have no problems buying additional pieces online.</p>

<p>Some may also buy multiples of the same item - the first in a store and then others online.</p>

<p>all things being equal…i go for the best price</p>

<p>I actually don’t care that much about the bottom feeder customer buying online. I just don’t want those bottom feeder customers to use my shop as the showroom and information source – and <em>then</em> buy online. </p>

<p>If there’s enough value in my knowledge and expertise to for you come in and pick my brain, pay me for my time, knowledge and expertise by buying the product from my store.</p>

<p>And when the one you bought online doesn’t work – please don’t expect me to drop everything and assemble it, or teach you how to use it, or even worse, return it for you. Those are services for <em>customers</em> not freeloaders.</p>

<p>“I just don’t want those bottom feeder customers to use my shop as the showroom and information source – and <em>then</em> buy online” - That’s understandable. </p>

<p>I try to avoid doing that if I can. I’m more likely to do it on a “repeat” (example - if I love a certain size/style of a shoe).</p>

<p>D and I just came back from my favorite local small shop. The stuff they sell is not sold anywhere else locally, and their service is fantastic - that’s why I shop there. D was happy to walk out with several lacy bras as a part of her Chistmas gift (French brands, although not all made in France :)).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My go-to charity is my local SPCA, as opposed to the national organization. But my other go-to charity is WorldVision, which of course is global.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yesterday I was in a local yarn shop, helping D spend a gift certificate (not gift CARD!) which she got for Christmas, and I was really struck by the customer-service aspect of the experience. Dealing with customer “service” these days with the corporate giants is so time-consuming and frustrating, and you never know if you’ve gotten accurate information because they’re not accountable to you. By contrast, at the yarn store we were face-to-face with the owner of the business, who was a fount of information and advice. It was so refreshing to have a pleasant encounter with the person who makes the decisions and has the answers. I was happy to buy some yummy yarn from her; I have no idea if we could have gotten it cheaper online, and I don’t intend to find out. The great time we had in her store was worth the price.</p>

<p>“Dealing with customer “service” these days with the corporate giants is so time-consuming and frustrating, and you never know if you’ve gotten accurate information because they’re not accountable to you.”</p>

<p>So true! In my experience, of all big chains, only my favorite SAs at Nordy’s and the photo guy at our local Costco are good. H once came form the Home Depot store steaming mad - the advice given to him by one of their “electrical specialists” was so dangerous, a person without enough experience to know better would have gotten into a lot of trouble by following that advice. :eek:</p>

<p>The local charity of choice here is a local pet shelter. Humans have a huge safety net compared to the helpless animals who are dependent on us because we tamed them.</p>