Do you prefer higher school rank or higher major rank??

<p>if you had a school with school rank 10 and economics rank 30
and a school with school rank 30 and economics rank 10,
which school would be more beneficial for you career??</p>

<p>For most majors and jobs, school rank >> major rank</p>

<p>you mean a college like rice, which is an excellent school but its economics rank is like 50, is still better than a school like wisconsin-madison with a school rank like 40 and an economics rank 14 or something?</p>

<p>Assuming similar cost, go with Rice</p>

<p>can you tell me the reason???
i mean, if my top priority is related to economics (say, investment banker) is it still better to seek for a school with a better overall rank?? why??</p>

<p>For me, the major rank is much more important. My end result is to get a good education in your specific major, not get an education from just a good university (not saying I'm against the second one, but the good school in my major appeals to me more).</p>

<p>
[quote]
For me, the major rank is much more important. My end result is to get a good education in your specific major, not get an education from just a good university (not saying I'm against the second one, but the good school in my major appeals to me more).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>For many schools, the differences in program quality that are reflected in the major ranking only manifest at the graduate level.</p>

<p>To be honest, I'd do some research with the Econ faculties at both schools. If you email some of the professors, you can get a better idea of the Econ department, and maybe even ask about job recruitment.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Because Wisconsin-Madison is not even a semi-target school, Rice is at least a top private university. For undergraduate (and iBanking), your school brand matters much more than the ranking of your school's graduate programs.</p>