My wife and I registered for Laurel by Gorham when we got married 32+ years ago. Apparently Gorham discontinued the pattern shortly before we got married; so the china pattern was discounted, and lots of wedding guests purchased it for us because it was relatively inexpensive! We have added to it over the years via Replacements, Ltd.
My wife will break it out for holidays and for when her book club comes to our house, as well as on an ad hoc basis for friends who stay for dinner or even just appetizers. I estimate that we use our china settings about 12-15 times a year. Here is a photo of a setting on our dining room table with a Christmas cracker, for when our kids come home next week:
Several years ago I went to a fundraiser at my mother’s church. It was for the youth group to raise money to go to world youth day. It was a tea party and the youth group modeled wedding dresses collected from members of the church through the years, I think from 1920 to 2000 or so. Winter weddings, cowboy themed (we are in Denver), one made by a bride who was coming to America to get married. It was a great event and the dresses and the stories were fantastic.
Anyway, the women’s group was the host of the tea party and brought the tea cups, saucers, and lunch plate from their china, each ‘sponsoring’ a table of 8. ALL of us looked at the names of the patterns on the back of the plates. I’m sure those sets got more use that day than they had in years.
I was looking at it the other day and I just might drag it out this year. We actually have only used it in our entire married like a few times. I never should have gotten it. Fancy, we are not. Comfortable with fancy, we are not. Noritake Randolph. It’s really a prettier blue than in this picture. https://www.replacements.com/china-noritake-randolph-dinner-plate/p/4604841?utm_source=goog
I believe it is silver. I sold my mother’s table silver. Then I was connected to someone who buys plated -my mother had a lot of that (platters, tureen etc.) I called the guy and was told to meet in him in the MacDonald’s parking lot. Very clandestine, felt like a drug deal, We’ll see whether future fast food meetings are in store after I get it appraised!
I use mine every Christmas (even through it is blue and cream!) and occasionally during the year. One year I used it for my mom’s casual birthday get together - burgers and sausages! It can go in the dishwasher.
We have a set of my spouse’s grandmother’s in the attic. It reminds me of an everyday Pfaltzgraff/Mikasa. My DC likes it so when they are ready, it is theirs for everyday use.
My mom also had a lot of off-white Lennox Casual Elegance plates that I now have. I use as part of my every day, and will set one of my Christmas dinner tables with it and one with my china.
You all have inspired me. I’m going to use it on Thursday, but I’m also going to start using it regularly. I like it and neither of my sons will ever care about it. Might as well get some good use out of it. Here is mine.
I volunteer at an artisans guild. One of the crafters makes gorgeous earrings using pieces of china. She looks for lone plates, saucers, etc with pretty trims. They are really pretty.
This is a similar feeling to my friends Limoges (hers has more flowers). I can’t believe how modern she makes it look with burlap, butcher paper, and “earthy” accents. I LOVE your pattern!!! I would use it all the time!!!
My mother downsized long ago, so I’ve had her good dishes / glasses for decades. It’s what we use for holidays (except when I want white Corelle for coordinating with christmas print tablecloth). And sometimes guests.
When the kids were little, on Saturday night my husband would cook a nice dinner for ourselves after giving them early dinner and putting them to bed (or as older watching a Disney movie). We shopped for a nice Lennox china that we would both like, just wanted two dinner plates. As it turned it, we found a Noritake(?) service for four that we both liked… much more affordable. Ha, these days I’d just go to the thrift shop.
Most days we use our Villeroy & Boch “Botanica” as it is microwave safe.
But I love the porcelain set I bought before I met my husband, too, and sometimes put it on the table. It’s Royal Worcester “Evesham Gold” and has gold rims, so it’s not microwave safe. My husband sometimes likes to reheat his food so he prefers the Botanica dishes.
The single best piece of advice my mom gave me before I got married was to NOT register for china lol.
Instead, I bought 12 place settings of a very neutral white Corelle pattern that I use to this day. Knock on wood, no chips or dings and it sees the inside of a microwave or dishwasher every day. But after 33 years, I’ve gotten my money’s worth and then some.
Sounds like me - I did not want china (or crystal or silverware) when I got married. I bought Corelle service for 8 and used them to death over 35 years. I did have two pieces break over the years (drop on a hard floor and explode into a million little pieces). I also supplemented with various serving dishes, mugs, and bowls.
In my downsizing two years ago, I kept only a few Corelle pieces (mugs, cereal bowls, and serving pieces), gave some plates to my daughter, and donated the rest to a rummage sale. I was finally tired of them.
I now use an inexpensive Ikea set all the time and like them.