Do You Use Your China?

We recently discovered a venue that rents their small antique space (guessing it holds a maximum of 40 or so) for events. Hosts can choose from their collection of fine china, which spans multiple generations. I think they collected most of their ware from thrift shops or donations. Want a roaring 20’s theme? Mid-century? Something more modern? Their tables & chairs also spanned multiple eras, and nothing matched – but all were quality. Loved it.

13 Likes

This is our everyday stoneware, Studio Nova Bay Blue. It wasn’t for sale long, possibly because it breaks easily (we have a couple of bowls glued together and less than our original service for eight). I would love to replace it with Corelle because it’s heavy, but husband wants to keep using it. It is nice to have the three sizes of bowls. We also have the two sizes of oval service plates and a serving platter. But I am tired of the weight with arthritic fingers.

https://www.replacements.com/china-studio-nova-bay-blue/c/308432?srsltid=AfmBOooplYSqnEtyYLbzZN3Rp1TAUzcgTX-5mQWyEnb6VS3qGuunCAIH

1 Like

My wedding china is Noritake’s Ireland Morning Jewel. I wish I had chosen something plainer, but it’s pretty. Looks like it sells well on Replacements.com

12 Likes

Pulled out my Christmas Chirp dishes to eat off during the holidays! Apparently, the official name is Winter Song.

Whoa - the mugs are being sold for how much? :flushed_face: My husband hates the shape of these mugs… maybe I should sell them! :rofl:

https://www.replacements.com/china-lenox-winter-song/c/390244

17 Likes

When I was young, I never thought I would have such strong and nuanced thoughts about coffee mug and tea cup shapes. But here we are, lol.

8 Likes

I don’t care, but my husband is very fussy about the shape of his mug. The one pictured would too skinny for his liking!

2 Likes

When Mrs. Pew (of the Pew foundation) died, all the other family homes were passed to family members with all contents in them, but the main estate was given to a charity and the family members received the contents - and boy were there contents! There had to be 20 sets of china (and by sets, i mean service for 20). Everything was appraised, and then family members went through and marked anything they wanted to ‘bid’ on with their portion of the estate.

Now mind you, most of these people were in their 60s and already had a house full of towels and china and furniture. There were a group of grandchildren who were in their 20s and 30s who also had homes full of stuff. But there were little ‘bid’ stickers on all this stuff.

i mean, who doesn’t need a 12th silver tea service?

2 Likes

I don’t fault people for wanting to keep heirlooms in the family.

7 Likes

Looks like some of our husbands have a “picky about mugs” gene! :laughing: Must be a Y-linked one. :rofl: My husband wants his coffee mugs to be at least 16 ounces capacity and a wider bottom so he can’t knock it down when he reaches around the mug for something. :laughing:

4 Likes

I am picky about mugs too. I like larger, taller, heavier ones rather than the ones that typically come with sets of china, for example. When I got new every day dishes, I also got 4 nice big mugs to match them. I didn’t need to pay that much for all 12 place settings, but I wanted some that my husband and I could use regularly. I also need one that will fit under the dispenser from my espresso machine AND hold all of the contents, which can be hard to find.

3 Likes

HAHA. DH has been looking for awhile, and finally purchased a coffee mug he likes: 16+ oz. Wide bottom.

4 Likes

We want to see this mug!

2 Likes

At least you have a legitimate reason to be picky about your mugs! My husband’s coffee of choice is instant Folgers. :laughing:

5 Likes

I love my OCR for Christmas:

Table is set and dining room festively awaits tomorrow’s dinner:

Merry Christmas to everyone and all our beautiful china!

19 Likes

I try not to get too attached to ‘things’, but our Christmas plates – Villeroy and Bach’s Naif Christmas – bring me so much joy. They replace our regular dishes the day after Thanksgiving and then are put away after Advent. It’s our first sign of the holiday season and winter. Merry Christmas, all!

22 Likes

They are lovely. And it’s nice that they are winterish, not as tied to Christmas as some.

4 Likes

Adding mine. Coalport Countryware (this also has a Wedgwood name) and Gotham Strasbourg Sterling.

15 Likes

Just the two of us for tonight and breakfast…so we went totally casual. Eating at the island!

14 Likes

We have used our China with a thick gold band and a gold rim at least twice a month for 30 years and put it in the dishwasher. Looks like brand new.

11 Likes

What is the pattern?