Looks like Noritake Opulence.
We had some gold rimmed wine glasses received as wedding gift from a dear college classmate. For 30 years we rarely used them, fearful of dishwasher wear on the gold or chips via hand rim. After this friend died unexpectedly a few years ago, we decided to start using them. We put them in the dishwasher, and the gold rims are almost gone. We don’t care. We just use them an toast to his memory
I found the dessert plates in our storage room and decided to use them today. Our younger daughter has been looking for dessert plates for over a year & was wondering if I still had them; funnily enough, she’d seen them online somewhere. So, guess who’s taking 8 of them home. Haha.
The cake stand is Royal Doulton Ribbons. Back in the late 80s, I wanted to start a collection of holiday china. Of course, the pattern was discontinued the next year and this is all I have.
My Dad was in the Merchant Marines, and after WWII he brought home a boatload (pun intended) of this china from Germany, and gave it to everyone in the family. When my aunt died, I wound up with a bunch of it, and so I have more than I could ever use. I never got my own china pattern when I got married, but these were the plates that represented holidays to me. It’s funny that the flip side of the plates says “US ZONE”. The set also includes a bunch of lovely ashtrays, haha!
I’ve used it unashamedly for 30 years, and included my mom’s silver ( she never had it when she was young, and bought it at an antique store after my dad died). My husband and I recently polished it, and it was kind of a lovely experience. We don’t put the butter knives in the dishwasher, because they have stainless steel blades.
Both the china and the silver go in the dishwasher, and the gold trim holds up pretty well. To me, it still looks great and festive.
I also have Gorham’s Strasbourg sterling. It was my grandmother’s. I also have another set for 12 of my MIL’s and another set for six from my greatgrandmother. I really like the Strasbourg.
I have Coalport Countryware as well. I still love it as much as when we registered for it 40 years ago. Originally it was our everyday pattern, but once we had kids we started using something less expensive on a daily basis.
I fell in love with Mikasa Spring Tradition and used it for a long time.
https://www.replacements.com/china-mikasa-spring-tradition-flat-cup-saucer-set/p/64747031
I put it away and went to a very plain Gibson set.
https://www.replacements.com/china-gibson-designs-regalia-white-40-piece-estate-set/p/135007881
Thinking of getting the Mikasa out again.
That flower actually looks very modern. I love it. Because it’s old, yet has that quirky little flower.
Lots of people want old silver these days. I’ve just started to learn some silversmithing at the worst moment. Silver prices have sky rocketed recently. I think it went from like $17oz to $100 in less than a year. I just bought a couple of 2x6x credit card thickness sheets of silver a few weeks ago for just under $200. I just checked and now they would cost $321.
We’re fancy. This is my good dinnerware. I find it perplexing that I’ve loved all the China posted with delicate florals, yet here is my normal style for just about everything.
I love the flatware in matching colors to the dishes
!
Love it! ![]()
Many moons into our marriage, when I got absolutely tired of the garage sale dishes we had been using since our poor postdoc pay days and decided to buy our own, new set, my husband requested a colorful one. Our compromise was the V&B Twist Alea because it was “like a bunch of confetti.” I’m
he would have wholeheartedly approved your dishes! And I love your set, too. ![]()
Thanks Bunsen and Patsmom!
Thanks to this thread, I decided to use my china tonight for dinner for our last night with the kids. And it’s already in and out of the dishwasher!
I was inspired by a thread on here before about china to use mine more several years ago. Now I would say that we use it about 10 or more times per year. Our pattern is Wedgewood Runnymede which I still love and have put in the dishwasher for years. We also have Orrefors Prelude crystal that we use. We never got red wine glasses when we were married 35 years ago. We only got champagne flutes and water goblets. We have used the water goblets for red wine for years now.
I have a bunch of 1950s good glasses for wine etc of various sizes/ shapes (though none of them are today’s typical wine glass), including cone shaped. When friends came for a holiday brunch, I used them for dessert. A “make your own” green/red/white combo - sugarless pistachio pudding (one friend is a diabetic), raspberries, reddiwhip. We had fun, and I was glad to use the glasses.
this has been so much fun to read!
and I’ve been inspired… but in a different way. Trying to minimize. Never use our china - was a wedding gift to my parents in 1950 (from their father) and a wedding gift to us 30 years ago. Don’t really love it - pink/gray flowers so I registered for plain white matching plates with fluted edges to match. Its Haviland 1152-16 (cherry blossoms). I don’t think the next generation is interested … I may sell it just to get rid of it…. other than replacements.com , any suggestions?
I love reading about everyone’s china and the beautiful pictures. We only use ours for holidays. It’s a plain cream with beaded edges from Crate and Barrel but I do love it, just not the hand washing. I inherited some china from the 1800’s that we do not use, but display.
Ooohh… pictures, please? ![]()
Ok, so it’s not a dinner set but two tea sets and one is dated 1906. I have my thumb over the signature. Sorry the dates are a little off. For some reason I have 1897 in my mind so will have to do some research. Anyway here are the pics of the tea sets. The one with more pieces I have 12 cups and saucers in mint condition but I didn’t want to dig them all out. The bigger tea pot and plate were hand painted by my great grandmother.






