Does 35 ACT Math compensate for 690 SAT Math & 730 SAT Math II?

<p>Please see the title. I am a high school senior looking to major in an engineering field and aiming for HYPS in terms of colleges (not MIT; not the right fit for me). I am in the top 1% of my class in terms of weighted GPA, but my unweighted GPA is only a 3.94 or so (3 Bs in a few math classes). As a result of my Bs in math classes combined with my desire to major in engineering, I feel I need to compensate with standardized test scores in order to be a competitive (stats-wise; I know ECs, recs, and essays make-or-break applications) applicant at HYPS; my male ORM status certainly will not do me any favors in the admissions process.</p>

<p>My superscored SAT and ACT composites are both respectable for HYPS-caliber schools (respectively: 2290, 35 with single-sitting 2260, 34), but for some reason I did poorly on the SAT and SAT II math sections. I plan to send all of my scores to all of the colleges to which I am applying.</p>

<p>Will my low SAT and SAT II math scores hurt me in terms of HYPS-caliber admissions regardless of my much better ACT Math score, considering my 3 Bs only in math classes? Should I retake the Math II subject test (I think I left too many blank last time instead of making informed guesses), as I feel I can do better than a 730?</p>

<p>For context, my AP and other SAT II scores are sufficient for HYPS-caliber schools.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>HYPS do not admit by major although they may take that choice into account while admitting since the first three have much smaller engineering schools compared to S. </p>

<p>However, all of them have sub 8% admission rates which means having 2400 or 36 still does not guarantee you an admission. Your scores are respectable at this point for consideration.</p>

<p>OK, thank you for your response. Looks like I will not retake the Math II test, then.</p>

<p>My comment applies to SAT vs ACT.</p>

<p>2 SAT II scores are required by HP. I would suspect most people have 2 scores as close to 800 as possible to be competitive at the number 2 and 1 schools. If you have two other subject scores higher than 730, you might be fine.</p>

<p>I do have two other subject scores higher than 730, but both are in the humanities. However, I may score higher than 730 on the Physics SAT II I plan to take later this year.</p>

<p>Tangentially relevant question: Would my lack of 750+ STEM SAT IIs harm my position as an engineering applicant, especially at Princeton? There, applicants have to choose between liberal arts/engineering (BA/BS); BS applicants must provide appropriate subject tests and an additional essay to back their choice up.</p>

<p>Since switching between BA/BS is fairly easy if I am fortunate enough to get admitted to Princeton (plus my intended major, Computer Science, is offered as both BA and BS), would it be better for me to apply as a BA there? I have no strong STEM ECs (Olympiads and the like were not offered at my school), but I do have some unique but non-major honors in the field of computer programming. As such, I would be able to write a convincing essay about my passion for engineering, but it would be more difficult for me to back it up with test scores and ECs.</p>

<p>It says CS offers both AB and BSE. The application itself does not seem to lock you in on the degree type based on the major specified.</p>

<p>I was aware of that. I was asking you for your opinion as to whether my application would be stronger as BA or BSE given my essay strength and Comp Sci accomplishments but lack of top-tier STEM credentials. If I get in, I would probably switch to BS in any case because of its increased STEM rigor.</p>

<p>I’ll consider retaking Math II in addition to my Physics SAT II if I can score 780-800 consistently on practice tests. When I get my Physics and (if applicable) Math II retake SAT II scores, I will make my final BA/BSE decision for Princeton.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all of your help!</p>

<p>Math II and Physics have a very good curves. Many have high scores since both tests allow many wrongs. 66-75 raw score gives 800 in Physics (6-7 wrong answers), and 43-50 gives an 800 in Math II (5 wrongs).</p>

<p>That generous Math II curve is why I felt my 730 score was very low. I did not know that the Physics curve was that generous, however–good news.</p>