Does CAS hold any prestige?

<p>Is CAS well regarded by graduate schools, and if so, what majors are considered prestigious within the school. Thanks.</p>

<p>Naw. No prestige at all, it's the worst school in the country. That's why they only get 35,000 applicants every year and it's the #1 dream school. It actually puts you at a serious disadvantage. You're much better off going to your local community college and majoring in Sports and Recreation before going off to Harvard to study law.</p>

<p>thanks for your input you dip****</p>

<p>ryan, if your asian then ur asian pple will know that NYU has prestige.</p>

<p>well im not asian... so...</p>

<p>haha oops..sry</p>

<p>why is this so hard to answer? Does anyone have any info of where people from CAS usually end up after graduation?</p>

<p>There is one thing I learned since I entered NYU.
COLLEGE EDUCATION HAS LITTLE BEARING ON YOUR FUTURE.</p>

<p>People who will succeed in life (you know the kind of people from whom you get that "vibe" from) will succeed even if they get rejected at every university except some local community college.
People who will not succeed will fail no matter how "prestigious" their colleges are.</p>

<p>Think of it this way, TENS OF THOUSANDS of students get admitted to prestigious colleges EACH YEAR. Do you think the job market has top jobs for every one of these applicants? Of course not. It's what you make of it.</p>

<p>HAVING SAID THAT.
NYU CAS is viewed as quite prestigious by United States folks (and Koreans), whereas internationally, Berkeley, Michigan, Chicago, UCLA etc. are "better known" and thus more "prestigious" than NYU (europe/australia etc).</p>

<p>Stern is another matter entirely...</p>

<p>I kind of agree with what you're saying y17k. Ryan asked about prestige- a term that means that if I say "I went to NYU undergrad," an employer knows right away that I'm no slacker. While I didn't have to go to college to be quote "successful," a prestigious school opens doors (even if I have the same potential I would have had if I took a break). It means I can just say one word, and anyone can presume about me (good or bad), whereas if I couldn't back things up with a name, I might have to spend a couple hours convincing them I have what it takes. While I agree with you, and the name can be superficial, that's how the world works.</p>

<p>I agree with "dude". Prestigious schools do open doors, but the main focus should be how hard you strive. To put it simply, there's only two things you need in this world: work ethic and social skills. If you have those to characteristics, you're good to go :)</p>

<p>ok, heres my question: do econ majors from cas have significant competition with the sternies for top nyc jobs(ibanking etc)</p>

<p>good question hopeful4cornell. i was wondering about that too. so anyone?</p>

<p>Cornell:</p>

<p>I'm an econ and math double major. Econ majors from CAS and Sternie finance majors obviously compete for the same ibanking jobs as many want them. I suspect this would be the case at Penn as well with Wharton. I think the finance majors get more of a generous GPA cutoff for getting the interview, but then again Stern has a brutal curve, so I'm not sure how much of an actual advantage that is. Once you get your foot in the door with the interview, your talent, internship experience, and personal skills will be much more of a factor than your major and perhaps even your grades. I work at an investment bank right now and many of bankers here did not even study econ or finance in college. I say focus on getting good grades, start looking for banking internships early, and don't worry too much about your major.</p>

<p>so econ majors can end up getting similar jobs as Sternies? </p>

<p>I applied to CAS and got in, but I am kind of regretting because I wanted to work for a company in future. In general, what kind of careers can Econ major get (I am thinking to do minor in pre-buisiness) ? </p>

<p>Also, are there plentiful internships in company for CAS students?</p>

<p>Sorry, I am obvious clueless about these things.</p>

<p>if your smart enough to succeed at being an econ major at CAS, you woud've been able to get into Stern. If you dont think you can get into stern, and you apply to cas to be an ECON major, you will probably be over your head.</p>

<p>mattistotle-I did not apply to CAS because I wudnt get into Stern. I know that both colleges are equally selective. I just hoped to have more eclectic choice of majors in CAS, and I was not sure if I would do business for sure. </p>

<p>btw, which college are you attending?</p>

<p>stern is much more selective than CAS, thus the whole econ arguement i put out.</p>

<p>I wouldn't say much more selective, but it is more selective and smaller. If Stern is a 10, CAS is like a 9. Being a math major, the math in finance classes really doens't really impress me, but who knows, that's just me. </p>

<p>Jh: I don't think you understand. There are no internships specifically for CAS students or Stern students so your question doesn't make sense. That's not how things work. The internships and jobs go to the best/well connected/most driven people regardless of school or major.</p>

<p>wel...that is why I said i am clueless about this whole internship thing. thanks for clarifying on internships</p>