Does connections really make a difference?

<p>Like would someone who had a grandparent as a professor at harvard get extra points in the application? Or wont they care/know?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Connections in any way shape or form are helpful, unless that grandparent became a serial killer after their tenure at Harvard.</p>

<p>"Does connections..."</p>

<p>If that is typical of your grammar, then for your sake I hope connections do matter.</p>

<p>^ oo thanks So how do you notify them your relative was at harvard? I couldn't see it on the form or am i blind?</p>

<p>Leanid- lol i hardly doubt that one grammar error is going to ruin my chances..</p>

<p>One grammar error? How about three? "...i hardly doubt..." Don't you mean - ...I highly doubt...?</p>

<p>^no i didn't mean that at all.</p>

<p>and why do you care? do you actually think that i'm going to write my application at 140wpm without reading over it like i do on forums? yeah exactly. i don't speak like this either so?~</p>

<p>When you say: 'I hardly doubt that one grammar error is going to ruin my chances.', what that means to any literate reader is that you are quite sure that one error WILL ruin your chances.</p>

<p>"...without reading over it like i do on forums?" You want to say 'as I do...' not "...like i do..." </p>

<p>"i don't speak like this either so?~" -- If you don't speak like that then why bother writing like that?!</p>

<p>Everyone here is a jerk. Either answer the question, or stop harassing...</p>

<p>-Yes, it does help. Depending on how you're related makes a diff., though.</p>

<p>My cousin, with an aunt, two uncles, grandfather, and great-grandfather who are Harvard alums, asked the admissions officers when he visited whether that would help him. They told him that the /only/ legacy consideration was if one of his parents went to Harvard, and even then it had the "weight of a feather." I assume that if your grandparent is a /current/ professor at Harvard, they can write nice things about you to the admissions office. On the grammar front: fine, whatever, people make typos. To defend yourself against accusations of carelessness while not increasing the level of care makes one worry about your essays as well.</p>

<p>haha yeah it's really not a big deal..</p>

<p>lirazel- ah okay thanks, nah he was years and years ago, but i was just curious to know. i don't have a chance at harvard anyway haha.</p>

<p>Thank you, Lirazel, for recognizing that grammar actually IS important.</p>

<p>I sometimes wonder what, exactly, is being taught in schools these days when the most basic constructs of language are somehow irrelevant. What is so pressing that correct usage is passe?!</p>

<p>I have the feeling that someone on here is sexually-frustrated.</p>

<p>We cannot be kind to each other here for even an hour. We whisper, and hint, and chuckle and grin at our brother's shame; however you take it we men are a little breed.
Alfred Lord Tennyson</p>

<p>
[quote]
I sometimes wonder what, exactly, is being taught in schools these days when the most basic constructs of language are somehow irrelevant. What is so pressing that correct usage is passe?!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You're aware that there are multiple forms of discourse, right? What you label as a "basic construct of language" isn't equally necessary in all forms of discourse, an internet message board being one of them. Stop being a pedantic dick; his posts were perfectly intelligible so you have no reason to make a big deal about it. The mature course of action is to be helpful and responsive to his question.</p>

<p>What's the point of your <em>puts pinky up the air</em> correct usage if it doesn't accomplish anything? It's a lot easier for me to COMMUNICATE (ie, what language is FOR) on an internet chat board if I don't have to worry about some pompous loser telling me to dot my i's and cross my t's.</p>

<p>Thanks heaps dwight and eisen.
I don't understand how people can be so intolerable of language when they don't take into account the context; that of a internet forum. hahaha what a joke..</p>

<p>There's no need to resort to name-calling, Dwight and jun. Do you have a problem with being corrected? Is your oh-so-precious self-esteem going to suffer? </p>

<p>You are probably (all three of you) in that current generation that was never told flatly that something was wrong, and now you get all defensive when something as harmless my suggestions are presented.</p>

<p>Yes, of course it is "easier" to go willy-nilly while writing on a mere internet forum. But the question is: Why should we? If we are educated, aren't we always so? Why pretend to not be? Is there some shame in it? Lowest common denominator is a bore.</p>

<p>I love it when old people act as though young people are idiots.</p>

<p>It seems like every generation thinks they're smarter than the one that came before them and the one that comes after them.</p>

<p>There's no need to resort to name-calling, Dwight and jun. Do you have a problem with being corrected? Is your oh-so-precious self-esteem going to suffer? </p>

<p>You are probably (all three of you) in that current generation that was never told flatly that something was wrong, and now you get all defensive when something as harmless my suggestions are presented.</p>

<p>Yes, of course it is "easier" to go willy-nilly while writing on a mere internet forum. But the question is: Why should we? If we are educated, aren't we always so? Why pretend to not be? Is there some shame in it? Lowest common denominator is a bore. </p>

<hr>

<p>Logic problems:</p>

<p>You never corrected me...So I'm not really being defensive, am I?</p>

<p>Ok, a little talk about grammar:</p>

<p>Something is grammatically correct because people say it is. There is no underlying "greater meaning" or whatnot. Possible for everyone to talk like Yoda it would be if made it people did.
I am perfectly fine with being told I'm wrong, but no, your suggestions were certaintly NOT harmless. I suggest you read them again.</p>

<p>And no, the question isn't "Why should we?", it's "Why SHOULDN'T we?". You never answered that. Nobody but you seems to care.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Like would someone who had a grandparent as a professor at harvard get extra points in the application?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You already have a leg up because you come from an educated, if not intellectual, family that has imbued you with the knowledge and attitudes necessary to succeed in the education system. You should be content with that advantage, because if you read the admissions website of Harvard College you will notice that only "the daughters and sons of College alumni/ae may receive an additional look."</p>