Does Fallon's "resignation" portend war with Iran?

<p>Interesting article in Esquire last week speculating about Fallon being replaced by the Bush administration to make way for war with Iran. I hope they're wrong. </p>

<p>Admiral</a> William Fox Fallon - US Central Command - Fallon's Military Strategies - Esquire</p>

<p>
[quote]
Just as Fallon took over Centcom last spring, the White House was putting itself on a war footing with Iran. Almost instantly, Fallon began to calmly push back against what he saw as an ill-advised action. Over the course of 2007, Fallon's statements in the press grew increasingly dismissive of the possibility of war, creating serious friction with the White House. </p>

<p>Last December, when the National Intelligence Estimate downgraded the immediate nuclear threat from Iran, it seemed as if Fallon's caution was justified. But still, well-placed observers now say that it will come as no surprise if Fallon is relieved of his command before his time is up next spring, maybe as early as this summer, in favor of a commander the White House considers to be more pliable. If that were to happen, it may well mean that the president and vice-president intend to take military action against Iran before the end of this year and don't want a commander standing in their way.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I sincerely hope not. :(</p>

<p>How realistic is it to believe that Bush can wage war on Iran without the approval of Congress, and that of the American public? We certainly know that he won't be getting the support from either front any time soon, unless there occurs another major terrorist attack that can be irrefutably traced back to Iran's government and it's revolutionary guard.</p>

<p>Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006. Thomas E Ricks.</p>

<p>W is still President, CinC, Protector of the Constitution and Nation.</p>

<p>we're not going to war with Iran save an Iranian strike against the US. Anyone who thinks otherwise is borderline irrational. Not today, not in these circumstances, not with the current "atmosphere" in the United States.</p>

<p>since we don't have the personnel nor material for this, would be sort of interesting.</p>

<p>I think all this meant was that, as typically the case with "W", Cheney et. al., if you utter a word contrary to the Administration position your continued employment expectancy is about 24 hours. This admin is and has always been about blind loyalty and mindless obedience.</p>

<p>So, Bullwinkle, Do you think that the characters that we have leading us, care more about their JOBS or care about their voicing their opinions?</p>

<p>What do you think, thisyoungman?</p>

<p>Fallon resigns last week and now Cheney is making the rounds of the Mideast capitals...I think there is war afoot with Iran...not a ground invasion mind you but probably a missile strike at their nuclear facilities probably within the next 60 days...just my two cents</p>

<p>They tried to minimize the "Iran" aspect of the Fallon story after it initially broke by saying he resigned because he thought the drawdown of troops from Iraq was not fast enough but I am not buying it.</p>