Does my choice influence my adult reputation?

<p>As I browse these boards, I often find students discussing how some schools are "quirky" while others are "preppy." Guidebooks and even the Princeton Review website labels institutions as being a place for the future Republicans of America, or the hippies of the twenty-first century and whatnot. A part of selecting the school to attend is trying to find somewhere that you will fit in. BUT, does choosing a specific school brand you with that schools "personality" as you enter the career field? My research on Wesleyan has led me to believe that the school has this uber-unique, free, opinionated student body--if I attend, and have Wesleyan on my resume, will an employer see me as being uber-unique and opinionated? If I attended Sarah Lawrence, would I forever be thought of as a hippy/free spirit? If one attends a conservative religious school, will an employer assume that they are hiring a quiet, conforming individual (I know that these are stereotypes, but that's basically my point, so take no offense anyone pleaseee.....) </p>

<p>Or, do employers generally not care about the type of school you attended and are more interested in your performance and dedication to your selected major? </p>

<p>What are your thoughts, if any?</p>

<p>My experience is that employers twenty years out of college have only the vaguest idea of individual college stereotypes and are much more interested in whether a school's alum have done well in their particular business or field. For the most part, they wouldn't be recruiting at that college if they didn't think so. Also, you'll find that the older you get, the less important your BA/BS degree becomes. Interviewers are pretty much focused on what you did last.</p>

<p>As I've said numerous times on CC, it's not the college you attend that will determine your future success (or reputation), it's the qualities you bring with you to college such as intelligence, motivation, character, etc.</p>

<p>There are those who have attended the most elite schools that have ended up "professional disappointments," and there are those who attended "no-name" colleges who have gone on to achieve professional greatness. It's all about who you are as a person, not where you attend college!</p>

<p>Also, do yourself a favor and don't pay any attention to publications that rank colleges. The criteria they use to rank may have little or nothing to do with what you are seeking in a college.</p>

<p>Be yourself, and use your adolescence as a time for growth, exploration and enjoyment. Don't put more emphasis on choice of college than it truly deserves.</p>