Does my homeschooler "need" to submit test scores?

My high-achieving homeschooled senior is trying to finalize the “reaches” on her list. She scored a 33 on her ACT. It’s a great score but on the low end for some more prestigious schools that she’d like to take a shot at. It’s probably also on the low end for big named scholarships. She’s not your average homeschooler: she attended a traditional high school for grades 9 and 10 and her 11th and 12th grade classes are all APs/Dual Enrollment with the exception of one parent-taught class per year (PE in 11th, Life Skills in 12th) as required by our state for homeschoolers. So, her transcript isn’t full of “mommy grades.” Her UW GPA is 4.0 and Weighted is 4.58. NM Commended. Strong, unique extracurriculars with leadership. Her LORs should be very strong: one from Pre-calc teacher/soccer coach, one from AP Gov and one from BETA Club sponsor. Her biggest negative is that she didn’t study for the science part of the ACT (like I strongly suggested!) and that score drug down her composite.

So do you think it would even be worth applying to lottery schools like Stanford, Brown (legacy), Rice etc. without a test score? She’s actually within range at Stanford and Brown but not Rice. Or maybe submit to Stanford and Brown but go TO to Rice? We would have to have a serious family finances meeting if she got into any of these, but I think she deserves to give it a shot if she wants.

As for scholarships…would a homeschooler be a contender for competitive scholarships like Washington and Lee’s Johnson without test scores? Also considering Claremont McKenna or Scripps but not sure if she’s in the range for merit at either of those, with or without test score.

The other option is to take a stab at the SAT in October to see if she fares better without the science section. She took it and the ACT for the first time about a year ago and the scores were very close, but she liked the ACT better so that’s what she re-took.

You need to check the specific colleges. Some require standardized test scores for students who are homeschooled. Some don’t.

1 Like