Does SAT Prep ever = ACT Prep?

<p>I know that these two tests are different in their own right but does studying for the SAT will make you prepared for the english, writing and math sections?</p>

<p>Also, will the The Real ACT Prep Guide be sufficient for the science?</p>

<p>No, it will not make you prepared because the English and math sections are different.
English is structured into passages and there are no sentence completion questions. You will also not be tested for vocabulary.
Math requires some knowledge of trigonometry and goes a bit further than Algebra 2.</p>

<p>It's definitely not the same. The SAT actually requires prep while the ACT doesn't have to be studied at all; it tests you on what you learn in high school.</p>

<p>Basically, the SAT is how well you take tests (that's why prep courses are ideal). I know super geniuses who are probably the top 0.25% brightest in the US who do horribly for their percentile on the SAT (2000 ish) because of a lack of preparedness.</p>

<p>The ACT, on the other hand, is more on how MUCH you learned in high school. It doesn't try to trick you and is really straightforward. My friends and I didn't prep at all on the ACT (I walked into the test room with no idea what the test even tested you on) and still did well.</p>

<p>It's all about which you prefer. Do you like tests that are easier but test you on test taking skills or tests that are slightly harder, but test you on what you've learned?</p>

<p>The latter is the ACT.</p>

<p>No, absolutely not. They are two completely different tests. I took two SAT prep courses and no ACT prep courses. The SAT courses didn't help prepare me one bit for the ACT. The sections with the most notable difference between the two are the math sections. ACT math tests more of what you've learned throughout school. I'm terrible x100 at math and I did significantly better on ACT math and even found it to be easier.</p>

<p>As the others have said, they are not similar tests at all.</p>

<p>The ACT is more straightforward, and tests on skills students learn in high school. As for the SAT, you definitely need to look at a prep book before walking into the test room. As it states, it measures 'aptitude'. </p>

<p>SAT's Reading Sections require good vocabulary, while that is not the case in the ACT. The Writing sections are somewhat similar, but not completely the same. The Math section in the ACT has trigonometry, but I feel that the questions are more straightforward because they are questions everyone has done in some math course at their school.</p>

<p>I disagree - although preparation for one is not exactly perfect for the other, there is a good deal of overlap. For things like English (which I had difficulty with before preparing for the PSAT), grammar rules are tested in similar ways on both tests. Math also overlaps. Obviously you shouldn't rely completely on preparation for the ACT as your only preparation for the SAT, but learning geometry or algebra 1 or whatever applies to both. Seriously, if the fact that the SAT is a little more tricky is the only difference in the math section, i wouldn't worry too much about the difference.</p>

<p>For your second question - I found the Real ACT Guide a little vague, but I also prefer just taking practice tests.</p>

<p>haha so i'm kind of the complete opposite of everyone else.
I studied a lot for the sat and pretty much not at all for act (just looked through some sections they had online for practice and to get an idea of the format a few days before). my exams were a week apart in december. </p>

<p>2370 sat, 35 act...on the other hand if i'd studied for the act maybe i might've gotten 36?
either way i'm happy with how things turned out and i do think sat studying is kind of helpful. if nothing else it gets you used to the 3-4 hour long exams</p>