Does the point of the essay need to spelled out clearly in the first 2-4 lines?

<p>This is a general question. I’ve heard a lot of people say that I have to make the point of the essay in a clear sentence 2-4 sentences into the essay. Is this really necessary?</p>

<p>bump10char</p>

<p>“Is this really necessary?”</p>

<p>No.</p>

<p>“The point of the essay” should not be spelled out at all.</p>

<p>Show, don’t Tell.</p>

<p>So, for example: let’s say that you have courage. Do not “spell out” something akin to:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Rather: show yourself acting courageously. Showing is far more credible and revealing that telling.</p>

<p>Trust the reader. When you show yourself acting courageously, the reader will not need to be told that you have courage. The reader will figure it out.</p>

<p>What if the essay begins with an anecdote (where there is a lot of showing) that drags on into two paragraphs? The point of the essay, or what the anecdote means to me, actually unravels in the last third of the essay. A number of people have said that adcoms will not wait that long, and just toss it away if they don’t see the direction of the essay in the beginning. Is that true?</p>

<p>I don’t think that will get you rejected. I’m doing the same.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No. </p>

<p>.</p>