Does this add to a Wharton applicant's "attractiveness"?

<p>I am planning on working during the summer in the Finance department of a large company here in Saudi Arabia. I'm not doing it for the hours nor for "padding" the application, Im doing it because I really enjoy finance more than anything else (unfortunately, no high school teaches pure "finance" !). How attractive does it look to the admissions committee at Wharton? 9 hour days for 3 weeks, so I get to implement lots of things I learned from Sophomore year (I took a "Financial Management" Course, got the top student award in the entire course), especially all the accounting we learned and relative expertise in Excel.</p>

<p>I'm also thinking of working at the largest bank in the middle east. This I am not sure of (whether its basic (assistant to the)Teller's work, loan work, or waist-deep capital market stuff...well, still the lowest guy on the totem pole!), but what do you think?</p>

<p>Incase you are wondering, I WILL NOT be paid at all. The large company is a private one owned by my grandfather, would this effect the credibility of my activity (He wont be signing the letter or anything, the division head will) even though my grandfather will not be involved (at all)?</p>

<p>BUMP!! I would sincerely appreciate any opinions you might have on this matter.</p>

<p>How attractive does it look to the admissions committee at Wharton? 9 hour days for 3 weeks, so I get to implement lots of things I learned from Sophomore year (I took a "Financial Management" Course, got the top student award in the entire course), especially all the accounting we learned and relative expertise in Excel.</p>

<p>Incase you are wondering, I WILL NOT be paid at all. The large company is a private one owned by my grandfather, would this effect the credibility of my activity even though my grandfather will not be involved (at all)?</p>

<p>It will turn them on, no doubt. I imagine they'll be as wet as October when they come to your resume.</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply Whartonite!! serious? Really? That sounds enticing. Should I mention that my grandfather owns the company or...? Theres no shame in starting out small. If Sidney Weinberg did, why can't I? </p>

<p>Any suggestions for more Finance and Economics-related ECs?? </p>

<p>THANKS!!</p>

<p>Sidney</a> Weinberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>I might have exaggerated a bit, but you should definitely take up the offer. I did two internships the summer before senior year and neither was business related. One was purely science and engineer stuff and the other was a hospital gig. Just make sure to relate to your experiences in your essays.</p>

<p>I wouldn't mention the company being owned by your grandfather. Be sure to have your supervisor write you a solid recommendation after you're done. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks!! Any other EC suggestions for Economics/Finance? Im blanked out here!</p>

<p>Oh, I also forgot to mention that I will be going to Southeast Asia this summer as well to visit my mom's side of the family. I will also work there at a Family friend's conglomerate (not very famous outside Indonesia) for about 15 (about 170 hours) days during my break... giving me the wholesome, International image, I presume?</p>

<p>So in all, 3 different unpaid jobs during the summer, one in a foreign location where I can further use my foreign language skills (indonesian)....babe in the eyes of Wharton or what?</p>

<p>BTW I dont think the Common App lets you submit reccomendations from non-academic teachers, let alone supervisors...!</p>