Does UF have an anesthesiology program?

<p>More specifically what I mean is would I be able to attend graduate school at UF-Gainseville with the intent of becoming an anesthesiologist?</p>

<p>If there is somewhere I can ask this that might know better please let me know,
thanks in advance.</p>

<p>An anesthesiologist is a medical doctor, so undergrad, medical school, then residency in field of choice:anesthesiology.</p>

<p>what an idiotic question! I really hope you are not seriously trying to become to anesthesiologist yourself. You should know that they are doctors so they follow pre-med, medical, then graduate medical training (residency).</p>

<p>But yes, UF College of Medicine has an anesthesiology residency program for after you have actually graduated medical school</p>

<p>^uh, why do you say it is an idiotic question?</p>

<p>^^Some posters have the overwhelming need to put down other people's questions because they know everything and assume everyone else should too. </p>

<p>IMO, most high school students do not know what is required for every medical specialty out there. The OP might have thought that an anesthesiologist was more of a technical degree.</p>

<p>No, that was a pretty dumb question for anybody even considering going pre-med.</p>

<p>^ Are u still here? Incredible that you keep insulting people, like this guy who just asked a simple question! thought you were going to FSU</p>

<p>Im actually in the honors program at UF. Are you still in that AIM program where they let in applicants with marginal test scores because of their ethnicity? Good luck going pre-med against people like me who can pass AP exams and score 1400+ on the SAT.</p>

<p>you're the kind of scum that gives UF a bad name. sorry bro, but everyone here knows honors program is a joke. plz gtfo.</p>

<p>@Ryan82 I never was in the AIM program jerk! and if you think that 1400 SAT is enough to enter Honors like you "did" you better kill yourself!
@aforautumn I totally agree with you, Admissions should have a section in the application that determines the level of stupidity and arrogance of the applicant, which seems to be in the sky in the case of this individual.</p>

<p>Fair enough, I do have a degree of arrogance, but I worked my ass off in high school to get into UF Honors, which while not that big of deal perk wise, is only given to like 900 of 6600 incoming freshmen. I plan to work just as hard in college to get into medical school. If I anger some people who get weeded out along the way, so be it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
^uh, why do you say it is an idiotic question?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Good question. It was not very obvious to me.</p>

<p>Hey Ryan, have a nice time getting anywhere in your life with that level of arrogance. While where you study and how well you does does play a factor, anyone with a slight ounce of common sense knows attitude is everything.</p>

<p>/thread</p>

<p>gpowsang</p>

<p>are you all joking?! This IS an idiotic question. I'm sorry if I sound arrogant or whatever but every please THINK. This person joined this website so that they can ask this question (OP has only 1 post) and act as if they had nowhere else in the world to find the answer. </p>

<p>"UF--Gainesville" as if UF has any other major campuses? "Graduate School".. what? I hope you mean med school!</p>

<p>Seriously, anyone who takes the original poster seriously needs to give them a reality check and unfortunately this is not uncommon. During my preview session for UF I saw a girl who was confused about which major to choose because she wanted to be a dermatologist. She said she didn't know which one you are supposed to choose. I had to inform her she had to become a premed student so you take certain classes but major in whatever and she didn't believe me! she had no idea... she actually thought you get an undergrad major in Dermatology. I mean.. you manage to get accepted to a college (where you probably DID NOT even look at lists of majors offered) and show up not even knowing HOW to achieve your tentative career goal REGARDLESS of what college you are going to (because no US College offers a medical bachelors degree). And UF talks all day about how they have the best and brightest!</p>

<p>I don't doubt the original poster and people like I just mentioned are bright bookwise, but they should use common sense. Anesthesiologists are DOCTORS. And to be doctors you need to go to MED SCHOOL but first be PREMED and take the MCAT and get a DEGREE. (I thank god everyday we have the MCAT). Before getting accepted to college do RESEARCH on the way things work and what you want to do and how to get there... PLEASE!! </p>

<p>Maybe everyone else will still defend the OP as a bright and promising young student who "just doesn't know" or whatever but when I hear people ask questions like this I do not take them seriously. Although I and am happy they are in the same classes as me so the average goes down and I get a better grade. Fortunately, UF Pre-med is a sink or swim environment where the kids who can't hack it drop like flies really quickly. </p>

<p>It's not that hard to type in "how to be an anesthesiologist" in google before asking, on a forum geared for undergrads, if an "anesthesiology program" exists at a Tier 1 University with a really good medical school and teaching hospital. Seriously.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Originally posted by mystifire</p>

<p>are you all joking?! This IS an idiotic question. I'm sorry if I sound arrogant or whatever but every please THINK. This person joined this website so that they can ask this question (OP has only 1 post) and act as if they had nowhere else in the world to find the answer. </p>

<p>"UF--Gainesville" as if UF has any other major campuses? "Graduate School".. what? I hope you mean med school!</p>

<p>Seriously, anyone who takes the original poster seriously needs to give them a reality check and unfortunately this is not uncommon. During my preview session for UF I saw a girl who was confused about which major to choose because she wanted to be a dermatologist. She said she didn't know which one you are supposed to choose. I had to inform her she had to become a premed student so you take certain classes but major in whatever and she didn't believe me! she had no idea... she actually thought you get an undergrad major in Dermatology. I mean.. you manage to get accepted to a college (where you probably DID NOT even look at lists of majors offered) and show up not even knowing HOW to achieve your tentative career goal REGARDLESS of what college you are going to (because no US College offers a medical bachelors degree). And UF talks all day about how they have the best and brightest!</p>

<p>I don't doubt the original poster and people like I just mentioned are bright bookwise, but they should use common sense. Anesthesiologists are DOCTORS. And to be doctors you need to go to MED SCHOOL but first be PREMED and take the MCAT and get a DEGREE. (I thank god everyday we have the MCAT). Before getting accepted to college do RESEARCH on the way things work and what you want to do and how to get there... PLEASE!! </p>

<p>Maybe everyone else will still defend the OP as a bright and promising young student who "just doesn't know" or whatever but when I hear people ask questions like this I do not take them seriously. Although I and am happy they are in the same classes as me so the average goes down and I get a better grade. Fortunately, UF Pre-med is a sink or swim environment where the kids who can't hack it drop like flies really quickly. </p>

<p>It's not that hard to type in "how to be an anesthesiologist" in google before asking, on a forum geared for undergrads, if an "anesthesiology program" exists at a Tier 1 University with a really good medical school and teaching hospital. Seriously.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>While I know you are not attacking me directly, I will tell you a few things.</p>

<p>I have my well share on many different forums (college ones like this one, hobby ones, trade ones, private ones, etc.) with a combined post count well in the thousands. So I can say I have plenty of experience with forums.</p>

<p>At that, I can also say I have plenty of experience with all the kinds of people that come into forums. I am more than confident in my ability in distinguishing a new member with a good question from a troll that just wants to bother people for attention.</p>

<p>Now knowing this about me, mystifire, I can tell you that the OP is not a troll.</p>

<p>While you are right that the OP could have simply googled this question, you are wrong in the fact that that that is his/her main option and should use common sense. People that are accepted into the University of Florida come from a massive range of backgrounds. From highly underprivileged low-income families all the way to the privileged and wealthy. I am not trying to offend anyone, but those are simply the facts. At that, the resources available to them can be limited. Also, there is the general possibility that the OP may have wanted an answer from a group of people that have experienced, getting a more direct answer and 1-on-1 feel in the process.</p>

<p>People should never think that everyone should have at least the same level of common sense as themselves.</p>

<p>gpowsang</p>

<p>
[quote]
Seriously, anyone who takes the original poster seriously needs to give them a reality check and unfortunately this is not uncommon. During my preview session for UF I saw a girl who was confused about which major to choose because she wanted to be a dermatologist. She said she didn't know which one you are supposed to choose. I had to inform her she had to become a premed student so you take certain classes but major in whatever and she didn't believe me! she had no idea... she actually thought you get an undergrad major in Dermatology. I mean.. you manage to get accepted to a college (where you probably DID NOT even look at lists of majors offered) and show up not even knowing HOW to achieve your tentative career goal REGARDLESS of what college you are going to (because no US College offers a medical bachelors degree). And UF talks all day about how they have the best and brightest!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>When I chose electrical engineering as my major, I hadn't the slightest idea what one did. It wasn't until my second year when I started taking my major courses that I figured out what it entailed. I graduated summa cum laude a year early, have published in the top journals in science and am on a prestigious national fellowship. My point is that when the OP learns how to accomplish his goals is not relevant as long as he learns the track before he starts taking premed classes, and the level of preparedness you are suggesting the OP should have is in no way a proxy for intelligence or common sense.</p>

<p>Also, for for Pete's sake, this is a website that caters to college newbies. Griping about a (presumable) high schooler not knowing how exactly to get to be an anesthesiologist is like griping that elementary school kids don't know algebra when they ask you a pre-algebra question. Everyone has to start somewhere :)</p>

<p>Happy 1,500th gt!</p>

<p>At OP, if you want to go into anesthesia but are kinda nervous about pre-med and med school admissions, go into nurse anesthesia. My step-dad is one and makes just as much as an anesthesiologist and owns his own practice in a rural area. Grad school is 2.5 years, which includes clinicals and work experience. I'm not going to troll people in this thread but the med field is littered with people that are arrogant and will be the first to cast a stone in anger and annoyance than take you and show you the process.</p>

<p>Hmm actually the median salary in the US for a nurse anesthetist is about half of that of an anesthesiologist. Which makes sense since although nurse anesthetists make more than other nursing specialties, they still do not go through as much schooling as an anesthesiologist, and are still not considered MD's and have to have some sort of supervising physician to practice.</p>