does UVA & UMD-CP offer good fin. aid for transfers?

<p>If you have a very high gpa & good EC's + you are an URM?</p>

<ul>
<li>i know it's kinda early for me to be thinking about this but I was just wondering :)</li>
</ul>

<p>responses would be highly appreciated :]</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know which colleges offer the best fin aid [in general]?</p>

<p>I don't think UMD meets need for out of state students. UVA meets full need for out of state freshmen applicants; I'm not sure about transfers. </p>

<p>Vanderbilt/ Elon/ Amherst/ Wellesley (need based)</p>

<p>I would start here: Project</a> on Student Debt: What's the Bottom Line? and look up every school's financial aid policy for transfers.</p>

<p>^ Thank u sooo much :]]</p>

<p>also, u can still apply under fin. aid after you're 18 years of age? Like around 20? </p>

<p>[but im still 17 hahaha].</p>

<p>I have heard several times that UVA uses the same FA policies for fr and transfers and that they treat OOS students like in state.</p>

<p>The definition of FA is that it is based on financial need, so factors like gpa, ECs and URM status are not considered. </p>

<p>You can apply for FA at any age, but if you are still a dependent of your parents you would need to apply using their and your finances.</p>

<p>Yes, but you need financial information from your parent(s) until you are 24.</p>

<p>okay so im still figuring out this whole fin aid/EFC stuff...i dnt have that much info to put into the calculator...</p>

<p>but i do know that i live with a single mom [parents not divorced, but dad is somewhere in the mideast/africa working & doesnt contribute a penny--literally.]</p>

<p>Mom's income is around 50-60 K a year though. But I think my sister told me our EFC is @ 0 so i can qualify for a full ride? idk...</p>

<p>Thanks @ college_rules & entomom.</p>

<p>I was planning on going to a CC or a lower tiered school (because i can stay in dorms/on campus..makes life easier for me) and then transfer after a year or two.</p>

<p>If you start at a community college, go talk to the financial aid people there and ask them your question about what schools have offered good financial aid to the CC's students who are transferring. You might get some good advice.</p>

<p>@ MD Mom: I will make sure to do that sometime later this week :] and thank you :]</p>

<p>going to a CC sounds better to me..atm. minus not having a dorm & still having to stay at home :/</p>

<p>But do you think adcoms would prefer transferring from a CC or an [unknown] in state school?</p>

<p>Sometimes community colleges have articulation agreements with universities. The agreements guarantee that upon earning an associate's degree, a student can transfer as a junior. They do not guarantee that you get a specific major (so if you want to go into nursing or business, you are not necessarily guaranteed that program), but they can make the transfer smoother. The agreements eliminate the nitpicking some universities do when they evaluate courses class for class to decide what credits will transfer.</p>

<p>However, the agreements are usually for schools within a state. New York has had strong agreements in place in the SUNY system for decades. Maryland, where I live, is still behind the times on helping students transfer out of community colleges.</p>

<p>Whether the CC or smaller state school is preferred is very hard to say. You indicate
"Howard Hopeful" in your signature. You might want to contact Howard also and ask there what will transfer. Good luck with the process.</p>

<p>^ @ MD Mom: I'd like to thank you again for that post :]</p>

<p>Yes, Howard is definitely high up that list...but so are schools in VA, MD & the D.C. area....you have no idea how much I miss the east coast...I actually used to live in fairfax county in VA..which was a couple of minutes away from D.C. </p>

<p>btw, MD is one of my favorite states :)</p>

<p>and oh yeah, I know that for sure the UMN-TC has an agreement with a couple of local CCs about transferring to the U...like a guarantee acceptance as long as you meet their reqirements & criteria. I was considering looking into that...</p>

<p>But i was planning on visiting schools near the D.C. area in the summer...possibly including UMD-CP [ my cousin is showing me around].</p>

<p>I was planning on possibly transferring to the UMN or Howard after a year and if I fdon't like it i could transfer elsewhere for the next two?</p>

<p>I'm not so sure about UMD-CP's selectivity and if the school offers good financial aid for OOS students. But UVA is also high up my list.</p>