Does your child have EC's that are "different" and don't fit the mold?

<p>My youngest D's interests are difficult in a way to encourage because they are kind of solo pursuits if she wants to take herself out of the mainstream....</p>

<p>she is really into photo journaiism, fashion design and sewing, horse back riding</p>

<p>she does yearbook, costumes at school, and is working on newspaper....and its fun, but same ole same ole</p>

<p>So last night we worked on putting in zippers....next week she is taking a class at a school so they can teach her how to put in zippers, so D and I will still be friends....</p>

<p>sigh, it would be so easy if she just made the lacrosse team, too busy to have me drive 1/2 hour to the ranch where I end up helping her clean stalls....argh</p>

<p>I am not really complaining, I feel fortunate we are able to help her pursue her passions, I just wish it was easier for mommy....like most of her friends who just do everything at school because they have geared their interests to what is available there</p>

<p>Off to buy some zippers and look at surgers...gotta love craigs list</p>

<p>In my d's high school, they're now scrambling desperately because the girl who designed all the costumes for the musicals and dramas graduated last year! If she sews costumes for school, that means she's a member of the theater company/group (whatever her school calls it). That's a perfectly legitimate EC (and will certainly help as a life skill - I still have to take stuff to my aunt who sews if I need repair/alterations!)</p>

<p>And not all ECs are at the high school. My d spends 14 hours a week dancing, at a studio that's 40 minutes (one way) away from our house! Well, at least she drives now!</p>

<p>My 10th grade niece is into horseback riding big time, and does it on a budget. She has been working at a veterinarian's office to make money since she was 12 years old, and she works a lot at the barn where she rides instead of paying. The person who owns the barn trains horses and then sells them, and she is teaching my niece a lot about training horses that kids who take expensive lessons would not get. My niece dropped school sports, which she was good at, because she would have no time for working and riding. My sister spends a lot of time driving her to and from the barn and also helps with stalls sometimes so I sympathize with your situation. She will be happy when my niece gets her license and will be able to transport herself.</p>

<p>When my daughter was in high school, she participated in quite a few traditional, school-based ECs and several outside school. She wrote her essay about her love of woodworking, and how her interest was piqued by her many trips accompanying my husband to Home Depot for materials to make repairs to our 100+ year old house. She and my husband still bond over the table saw in our basement when she's home.</p>

<p>My daughter is very similar to Map's daughter, in that she also was involved with quite a few in-school and out-of-school traditional ECs, but she wrote her essay on restoring (with her dad), a classic car that he had owned since college but which had been off the road for 20 years (since our oldest child was born!) She loves working with tools, learning about automobile repair, and working with wood too!</p>

<p>My oldest three have had some interesting ECs. My oldest was heavy-duty into the horses--went to national dressage competions, also Arabian horse costume classes--so she rode AND we sewed... She supported her horse habit training horses and playing music for weddings. My next one played the weddings too, but most of her spending money was put towards overseas trips--earned by raising fine-wool sheep. She also taught kayaking on the side and worked as a roofer. My next one raises organic chickens and turkeys and spends THAT money on raising Shetland sheep. Diversity is a good thing...</p>

<p>I love it when kids' interests are outside of the mainstream. It makes life move interesting.</p>

<p>Your D sounds like a cool kid.</p>

<p>

I agree, and not just because I share some of her interests... :)</p>

<p>I do photo (color digital for the newspaper, artsy black and white 35mm in my own time), school newspaper (News & Features Editor and Photo Editor), horseback riding (worked 40 hours/week as a camp instructor this past summer)... I know how to drive a boat and navigate around the islands off the Swedish west coast, where my dad's family is from; pre-vegetarianism I would also fish mackerel... I'm self-studying Spanish, picking up from where two years of VERY elementary classes in middle school left off (I'm already fluent in Swedish, French, and English, in that order)... I knit, make collages, and cook/bake, none of which is likely to lead anywhere in particular but all of which I enjoy immensely... I volunteer at the hospital 4 hours/week (15 hours/week in the summer) and tutor in chemistry, but that's not unusual... basically, I'm all over the place.</p>

<p>I love the things I do, but I'm not going to lie, sometimes I do wish I had One True Passion instead of spreading myself thin and always having to make compromises and being interested in absolutely everything but having no sense of direction.</p>

<p>My D got involved in filmmaking, one of only 7 kids at her large public hs. She pursued it for the past 3 years, and ended up co-directing a short which she wrote (adapted from a short story), and winning top 12 in the nation for student filmmakers. She simply "wants to tell stories visually" </p>

<p>She was also a pole vaulter in hs and holds a national silver medal in youth sport aerobics.</p>

<p>I've always encouraged the experience over the grades (in other words, what did she get out of it, rather than the letter a teacher puts on a piece of paper). </p>

<p>It won her a spot at Mount Holyoke College where she seems to be thriving, and now has just become a member of the "Novice Crew" team. Never touched a water sport in her life. Doesn't seem to stop her.</p>

<p>Yeah, my kid is outta the box, and I cannot wait to see what she becomes when she grows up!</p>