Doing research on Psychology, but going to graduate school for pharmacy?

<p>I will possibly work with a psychology professor this fall, but I want to go to graduate school for pharmacology. Would my research experience not be helpful at all on my graduate school admission?</p>

<p>Unless research topic is related to your PhD subject (or overlap, like if you did research on nutrition and want to get PhD in genetics focusing on nutritional genomics)</p>

<p>I don't think it will help.</p>

<p>Psychology research topic and pharm PhD...I don't know how related they are, or if pharmacology has anything related to your psychology research. You're the only one that knows how related they are.</p>

<p>Yes.
1. Drug research still needs to use an appropriate research design, statistical analysis, write-up, etc. Research experience as an undergrad in psychology will still improve your skills in this area, even if you end up doing grad work in a different discipline.
2. You didn't mention what area of psychology you are researching or what area of pharmacology interests you. Depending on what these are, there might be some overlap across the two disciplines.
3. Psychological methods often come into play in drug research when using animal subjects (e.g., experimental analysis of behavior models in behavioral pharmacology).
4. Psychological factors often come into play in drug research, e.g., placebo effects, medication compliance, etc.</p>

<p>My professor's research topics are mostly on emotion and cognition. Does it seem...related? And I am interested in drug research (or like making new medicine) in the field of pharmacology.</p>

<p>You never know...some day, you could end up doing research on drugs that affect emotions (e.g., antidepressants) or cognition (e.g., Alzheimers)...</p>

<p>YOu want to stay far, far away from any career related to drug discovery. It is a highly volatile field with a ton of unemployment. Almost every single pharma company is hurting right now big time and they've laid off thousands of incredibly smart scientists. You'll have to compete with scientists that have 20 years experience for the same jobs these days. Pharma is increasingly moving away from drug design based on small molecules and is moving towards biologics and gene therapy. Either way, working in any field related to drug research is terrible.</p>

<p>gravenewworld, are you serious!????? So by the time I graduate with a Ph. D in pharmacology, employments in this field will be mostly gone???? Are they really focusing on gene therapy (or like Genetic Engineering...? is it?) instead currently????</p>

<p>Yes, I'm very serious, I worked in Pharma for 5 years. Pfizer, Merck, AstraZeneca, J&J, etc. etc. all have had huge layoffs. You'll have to compete with all of those people that have way, way, way more experience than you. It will be decades before Pharma recovers. Much of the research now focuses on gene therapy, tons of protein and enzyme research, etc. Biologics are much harder to replicate generically which is why there's a huge push in Pharma towards biologics. Small molecules are dying, if you do pharmacology, maybe you could do something related to nano particles/nanobiotechnology. Most of the middle aged people laid off from big pharma won't have training in the latest cutting edge science and engineering which could give you the upper hand when applying for jobs. Also, I wouldn't even completely rule out living abroad. Biotech in the US is highly volatile and has been getting torched for almost 2 decades now, places in China, Singapore, and India are becoming biotech powerhouses.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v27/n3/full/nbt0309-293.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v27/n3/full/nbt0309-293.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thank you so much for your information gravenewworld! But I have a few questions. What degree should I get to become a biotech scientist? Is there a Ph. D degree in the field of biotechnology?</p>

<p>Also, if this is the case, what kind of research should I focus on? There are professors at my school who do research on "the new development of bioorganic approaches". Is this what I should do instead?</p>

<p>First, education does not imply at all that you'll be able to get a job, you've only been told that by your teachers and parents for your entire life. The reality is that these days, tons of PhDs are working jobs where they're making less than $50,00 or 60,000 working temps jobs. Are you SURE, you need a PhD, or are you really going after one just because you have no idea what you want to do with the rest of your life or don't want to find a job? Biotech is a notoriously unstable industry, one field becomes hot for 5 or so years and then dies once another field takes off. Bioorganic approaches may be hot now, but will it be 10 years from now? Who knows. If you decided to do a PhD, just make sure you are well rounded. Way, way too many PhD students end up only being able to do 1 or 2 things well because their research is highly specialized which industry is not looking for. I would also try to take some business classes on the side if it were at all possible. You could move into a more of a support type role, such as consultant work, instead of being a scientist in the lab. </p>

<p>Look I'm just one person with an opinion, you can't let me alone scare you off what you want to do with your life. It's up for you, and you only to decide. I'm just telling you how it is in biotech.</p>