Don't know anything about business (also, evaluate my freshman year)

<p>That's right. This whole time I have been focusing on medical school and engineering and so forth. I already realized that engineering is not my thing, and recently my eyes have been opened up to the business world, and I think that I finally realized that this might be the world for me.</p>

<p>I am a rising sophomore. My freshman schedule was the most rigorous, as follows with the semester averages in brackets right next to them [first semester|second semester]:
Pre-AP Geometry ------------------------------------------[78|97]
Pre-AP English I--------------------------------------------[88|93]
Pre-AP World Geography------------------------------------[91|94]
Pre-AP Biology --------------------------------------------[93|98]
German II--------------------------------------------------[98|99]
Orchestra--------------------------------------------------[98|99]
JV3 Tennis-------------------------------------------------[99|99]
Required: Health (0.5)/Speech (0.5)-------------------------[94|97]
Unweighted GPA: 3.85
My EC's were only orchestra and tennis. </p>

<p>First of all, tell me how I did for my freshman year. </p>

<p>Now, if I wanted to go into business, I am aiming for the top, which I understand happens to be Wharton and Harvard and Stanford and so on. I know, for example, going for a top science program, you focus on medical ECs, hospital volunteer, and take tons of science classes, do summer programs that involve science, there is a whole process to getting to the place you want to be. How about business?</p>

<p>Hey bro,</p>

<p>I'm too a rising sophomore with an interest in business</p>

<p>First and foremost, everything you need to know about the business world can be learned about in the Investment Banking forum of College Confidential. While a lot of the stuff in there focuses primarily on IB, the people there have a lot of business knowledge and can tell you anything you need to know. They can tell you about the different kinds of business (finance and consulting) and more importantly, target schools.</p>

<p>I suggest you pick up the book "What High Schools Don't Tell You" From Amazon.com or Borders or even your library. There's a section there about students with an interest in business. When I read it, I found out that there are summer programs specifically for business such as UPenn Management & Technology and Bentley University's Wall Street 101.</p>

<p>For your ECs, you should obviously do business-oriented ones. These include DECA, BPA, FBLA, Entrepreneurship Club, etc. If you don't have any of these clubs, then make them! :D</p>

<p>Your grades look fine, btw. I'm at a similar rank myself. Just don't get that 78 in math again... ever!</p>

<p>What degrees are typical of those who want to go into finance (investment banking, hedge funds) and/or business? </p>

<p>Also, take a look at my schedule for next year:
Pre-AP Algebra II
Pre-AP English II
Pre-AP Chemistry
AP World History
Tennis team
Pre-AP German III
Pre-AP Computer Science
Intro to Engineering</p>

<p>Now, as you can see, that is the most rigorous schedule possible. There is one problem with it, and that is in the last line. I have to take Computer Science for my 1 year of tech credit, and I probably will go for another year if I am okay with it so that I can take the AP test. </p>

<p>In the last line, the engineering course. Now engineering involves math, so would this technically be the best course I can take for business? It is also counted as an honors class so it will help increase my rank. I can replace it with the following:
Debate (there is Debate I, Debate II, and Debate III, they do competitions)
Psychology (after psychology comes AP psychology, but I don't think colleges care much for it)
Sociology (I have no clue)
Academic Decathalon (I have no clue)
Leadership (there is a program at our school called "Leadership." What it is is that you apply and if accepted, you have 1 class period throughout the year for doing leadership stuff, like running for leadership positions, etc. I don't know if it's too late for me or not.)</p>

<p>I am planning on joining the following clubs that are offered:
DECA
FBLA (what is the difference between FBLA and FBLA Co-op?)
Key Club
Physics Club
Comp Sci club
NHS (after I do all the requirements)
Debate (only if I decide to replace engineering w/ Debate)</p>

<p>Thank you for your input.</p>

<p>You can major in anything to get into business. You can get an economics or finance degree, which many people do, or you can even get a degree in engineering, english, history, etc. If you have the GPA, a good resume, and connections, you'll have a decent shot no matter what your major is. All you really need are the core classes for business which will give you a backbone when looking for a job.</p>

<p>Also, I think that your classes for next year are pretty good. If it were me though, I probably would've replaced engineering with leadership. It seems like a course which could be applied more to the business world. The ECs you have for next year are good too, btw. I don't have FBLA at my school so I can't really answer that one question.</p>

<p>Do you have to be a master of math in order to get a career in finance? Know mathematics as well as an engineer? The reason engineer was eliminated from my choices initially is that I am not absolutely fond of extremely obscure math. I have been fine in every math course in my life until I went through the first semester of Geometry (the first semester was dedicated to proofs). We didn't do any proofs the second semester and you can see the grade difference. So am I okay or do I have to be a genius in math? (be able to do complex equations without paper, etc.)</p>

<p>Many people in finance only need to know basic arithmetic. However, if you want to go into HF, I've heard that more advanced math is used there.</p>

<p>So if I don't get into leadership, debate would probably be the most applicable to this situation, right?</p>

<p>Harvard does not have an undergraduate business or finance program. Those students planning on applying for an MBA program often major in economics.</p>

<p>Keep an open mind, you are still young and may find an entirely new interest once you are taking college classes.</p>

<p>
[quote]
So if I don't get into leadership, debate would probably be the most applicable to this situation, right?

[/quote]

Eh. Maybe for law. I don't think business.</p>