Dorm Control: What is all that extra stuff?

<p>So we have all the different threads on what to bring to college, but it seems as if every new freshman complains they brought too much stuff (despite forgetting a few essentials at the start.)</p>

<p>So what items did people bring that just contribute to the clutter? What are effective ways to reduce the clutter if you only have what you need but it is still too much?</p>

<p>There's a thread somewhere on the parents' forum about stuff their kids brought back. I know for me, most of my "clutter" was stuff recommended by the school: phone, microwave, stereo, plates, etc. None of them got used. [We didn't even have anywhere to plug in the phone!]</p>

<p>As for storing clutter, I think that's when underbed storage and stackable bins come in handy. They're useful to hide essential things that you don't always need out. That's what I used.</p>

<p>I think I used almost everything at least once, with a few exceptions.</p>

<p>-I didn't use my 3-hole punch.
-My assignment notebook/daily planner was kind of superfluous since the assignments for each day were written in the syllabi.
-I didn't use CDs. Flash drives were enough to store everything I needed.
-Books/magazines for pleasure reading. There was really no time to use them.
-I didn't use the binders I brought. Sturdy folders were enough to hold everything for each class.</p>

<p>However, this might depend on the types of classes I took. I took mostly humanities classes this year; perhaps next year, when I'm taking more science classes, I'll need the binders and hole punch.</p>

<p>I'd like to see more people contribute to this! It'll come in quite handy. I think I'll bring a few binders and a hole punch, since I like to keep syllabi and old work in binders. But definitely not for-fun books, which I was considering bringing a few of.</p>

<p>I read my for fun books. <em>shrug</em> Though I brought like five and I probably only read like two. Bringing one to change out at Thanksgiving, then again at Christmas, etc, probably would have been sufficient. </p>

<p>I also used my three hole punch and binders. I used sturdy folders for things to be turned in and a copy of my syllabus, kept a master copy of syllabus and old work/reading assignments in the binders. Came in handy when I had papers to write.</p>

<p>My parents had to rent a truck to get all my stuff home and I really can't think of anything I didn't use. I brought way too many shirts, though. I definitely wore them all, regularly, but they took up WAY too much room. I just need to do laundry more often next year and make it a point to swap out seasonal clothes when I go home for spring break.</p>

<p>I didn't have time for my for-fun books, although I did make spare time for magazines (twenty minutes vs. a couple of hours is a huge difference).</p>

<p>And I know I had a lot of stuff I didn't need, but I have no idea what that is. And it'll also vary from person to person: I didn't use my printer much but my roommate used hers all the time.</p>

<p>One thing to remember about for-fun books: if you have limited room while packing, these can usually be the first thing to leave behind. Chances are that your campus has a library were you can rent these books, so only bring ones that you know you won't be able to find at the library. [Why carry all 7 Harry Potter books when you can just borrow them and save that huge amount of room?]</p>

<p>Personally, I'm an office supplies junkie who would have LOVED to have had a hole puncher while at school. :-) Really depends on your organization. I did bring too much organizational stuff [binders weren't touched, nor was the accordion folder after the first week]. </p>

<p>Also, consider your cleaning needs. Will your school have a vacuum? [I saw tons of people bring them despite the fact that the dorms rent them out.] How do you do laundry? [I only brought one pair of sheets because I wash my sheets often and change them within a few hours.] Are you the type who needs tons of cleaning supplies? Saw tons of supplies go in and very few opened bottles come out.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Personally, I'm an office supplies junkie who would have LOVED to have had a hole puncher while at school. :-) Really depends on your organization. I did bring too much organizational stuff [binders weren't touched, nor was the accordion folder after the first week].

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is me. I'm an office/organizational supplies junkie. I've mostly bought organizational stuff so far, and I have a list of office supplies. I bought a small file box... I might not use it, but I really like Cal Newport's ideas and so I might. If it doesn't get used, the files can be taken out and I can use it for storage.</p>

<p>I use my 3-hole punch all the time. Most of my classes have the notes posted online, and it's nice to be able to print, punch, and put them in a binder.</p>

<p>I got a file box and ended up using it all the time.</p>

<p>Try not to bring a lot of stuff. It's not that you won't have room, but it will just be hard to move it all around and carry it from the car to the dorm and whatever else you have to do. If you're not sure you'll use something, then don't bring it. Even if you do end up needing something once you get there and you didn't pack it, it's not the end of the world. I'm pretty sure every college has a school store, and I'm also pretty sure that there is some other big store (like Target, Walmart, etc.) near the college no matter how rural your college may be</p>