doubel major at carleton...

<p>So I hope to double major, english and some science probably bio, and then hopefully off to med schoo; my question is how hard is it to double major at carleton?</p>

<p>It's possible, but I would say very difficult. Especially if you're pre-med and also because English and Biology major requirements don't really overlap at all.</p>

<p>Having said that, I think it is still possible but you will have to start planning for pre-med requirements, English and Bio major requirements. That's a lot of separate requirements, not to mention comps for English and bio.</p>

<p>It is possible, but you'll have to be pretty certain right away. Especially if you're premed, since not all of those classes will be bio requirements. Although med schools do like to see some humanities classes.</p>

<p>The real issue, IMHO, is that you'll have to double-comps your senior year, which will be challenging. Comps is a senior-thesis-type project and usually requires an intense amount of work.</p>

<p>so just go with the bio major and an english minor perhaps?..</p>

<p>Carleton doesn't offer minors. We have concentrations, which are similar, but there are no concentrations offered in the same area as any offered major. Most concentrations are interdisciplinary. This means that you can't minor in English, bio, history, etc., but you could minor in educational studies, neuroscience, biochemistry, and so on. </p>

<p>Check this list for info about the requirements for specific majors and concentrations: Carleton</a> College: Academic Life at Carleton: Majors & Concentrations</p>

<p>Double comps would definitely be challenging, to make an understatement. My advice would be to take some classes in each, and some in other things you're interested in, then see; a lot of people come into college thinking they have a plan laid out and all set, and then change their minds completely. You never know if you might find something else you like that you never tried in high school!</p>

<p>It's possible, but not recommended. There are some majors that fit together a lot better than others - usually ones that share classes...for example, I know several English/Theatre double majors. But generally it's not a great idea.</p>

<p>it's going to be very difficult to major in english if you can't spell double.</p>

<p>"I don't give a damn for a man that can spell a word only one way." Mark Twain</p>

<p>Minnesota's own F. Scott Fitzgerald also reportedly couldn't spell worth a damn. Then again, his greatest creation, Jay Gatz (aka Gatsby), attended St. Olaf. :)</p>

<p>^<em>like</em> :)</p>

<p>It is possible, but you would have to put a share of work in it (as well as try to plan as far in advance as possible). Some departments allow for doing one comps project your junior year if you have a compelling reason for it (double majoring usually counts as such).</p>

<p>Wow, if people at Carleton are like Drought, then I would prefer not to meet people.. Anyway, thanks for all the responses, I will most likely just stick with my science major. Thanks again.</p>

<p>^sstewart, they usually aren't (I was contemplating replying to that, but decided against it). Give it a time and see how your classes go, if you feel like you can handle it, go for it. I know a number of people who are doubling and it's certainly doable -- make sure to explore the avenues before making the decision.</p>

<p>@Drought: it's clearly a typo, and even if it wasn't, learning to spell a single word doesn't take too long. And even then, not being able to spell one word correctly doesn't have a strong impact on being able to major in English. I take it you were trying to be sarcastic. :)</p>

<p>^Thanks for your help, and yes it was indeed a typo. Also, I appreciate your advice, and plan on just seeing how things go for my first year before I rush into anything. Once again thank you.</p>

<p>through his CC posts, Drought, whom I haven't met, gave me confidence to apply ED to Carleton. everyone has their moments.</p>

<p>Aw, ease up. Just kidding around a little.</p>

<p>I understand, no hard feelings :)</p>